An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking on Public Transit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Miaka_M, May 11, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I was on the public transit the other day and I saw someone taking out a cigarette and was in the process of lighting it. Now, this is in Toronto and the transit does not tolerate smoking. I immediately shot death glares at the person because I paid for my fair and I did not intend for it to be bothered by someone smoking a cigarette stick. The person caught my eye and immediately put it back in his coat, then he avoided eye contact with me at all times.

The funny thing is that I was on my way to work that day and the same person came into the store. It was a very awkward meeting.

What would you do if you saw someone about to light up on a public transit? I don't know what I would've done if the person actually start smoking on the train.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Woah, I'm kinda amazed to read this took place in Toronto! Not cool at all! I hate it when smokers do that, in my country it's very common that kind of things happen.

Last year I was in the process to get my birth certificate, there was a woman smoking outside that office. The smoke was getting into the building, because the door was open. I remember telling my mom how rude I thought that woman was. If she wanted to smoke, she could at least walk away from the dang door!

Some people only think about themselves, it should be basic not to smoke in that kind of places, normal courtesy actually. But some people fail at that.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smoking Is banned on all public transport here in the UK also and that's how it should be. I'm a smoker myself but even I agree with that rule.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I used to live in Ottawa and people would routinely smoke weed and tobacco on Friday and Saturday nights. Honestly, I never really did anything. It's not enough smoke to give me cancer or get me high (depending on what they're smoking) so it doesn't really ruin my day or anything. The only issue is that it smells like ****, but busses smell like **** anyways, what with 40 odd people cramped into it in the lower Canada humidity. I just carried on with my day like it never happened.
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Wow, this really does not seem like the sort of thing I could imagine happening in this day and in this country! I might not get cancer from one person smoking one cigarette on transit, but my eyes water and my throat hurts. Also, the smell sticks. It's disgusting. I have nothing with them smoking outside, but in a closed space next to me, I would not be happy.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

If I would be in your shoes Miaka, I would not dare to take action until making sure doing it would not cause me any trouble.

Nowadays it's so easy find retard-like people that do not understand civic culture and may react aggressively.

Fortunately I have not seen anyone smoking or trying to doing it in the public transport, where smoking was already b
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sadly to say there are smokers here in public transports even there is a law against it already. It is common in Jeepneys here and sometimes it is the driver itself who is smoking. Worst is that even you will give such look on them, they are not bothered with it and just continue smoking.
  8. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Yes, its pretty surprising that it happens here, but then again, there are a lot of people crawling here so it was be expected at the same time. Oh dear, was there a sign that said no smoking as well? If that's the case, then that is very rude indeed!

Really? I had no idea that Ottawa was like that. I guess that people from outside of Canada in general would be pretty surprised as well, because we're such a "peace-loving" country. Yes, the smell is quite bothersome, especially if it attached itself to you and people give you that funny look.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Of course, over here most public places are supposed to be smoke-free. But most of the time people don't respect that. This woman tried to dodge that by standing outside and do her thing, but the door was open!!! Sometimes the lack of respect for others some people display really saddens me and shocks me.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Besides public transit, you see many people disrespect non-smoking areas too. Fortunately there is not much people doing this, but in some areas in the big cities may occur.

Of course, the hustle and bustle of those places also contribute to make people living in a hurry, and sometimes is not irresponsibility, but simply not realizing of such restriction in a timely manner.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It really depends on your demeanor at the time. Some people come off as non threatening. So if you were to stare at me on the train, and came off non threatening, I wouldn't think twice about it later. Now if you were the aggressive looking type then I think that would leave an impression if you guys ever meet again.
  12. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

It sounds like this person forgot about the no smoking rule and you were there to remind them. I don't quite understand what is 'awkward' about this but you probably prevented this person from creating an undesirable environment for the people around him. Congratulations!
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

That's very ignorant coming from someone who definitely knows that's not ethical at all to smoke not only in public areas, but generally in crowded places. You don't know how many people there struggle with diseases that if triggered by even a slight smoke of cigarette can worsen their condition. We can definitely have some manners courses because most don't seem to be able of following simple society guidelines.
  14. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

To be honest, I wouldn't say anything. I wouldn't be happy with it, but I'm not the type that would step up and call the guy out for smoking either. I'm sure there would be other people around who probably would, though.
  15. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Hmm... I would probably grin and bear it. I don't want to risk getting into a (violent) confrontation with a person. Unless, there was a security official or officer nearby, I probably will let it go. It's still annoying when it happens though.
  16. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I'm surprised that he thought he would get away with it. In Toronto its illegal that would have been a hefty fine and I'm sure if you had not said something someone else would have. I have children so I don't know if I would have said something to him personally just to avoid a violent confrontation but I would have probably told the driver and had him removed.
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I live in Bucharest and a few weeks back there was a video which was circulating on Facebook, it was an old lady who was smoking out of an electronic cigarette on a public transport. Some people got angry because of that, told her to stop, she continued until the point where one of the old men there punched her. I don't really see a problem smoking in public transport as long as it's an electronic cigarette.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

In my town it is strictly prohibited to smoke in public. You will not be allowed to smoke in any public transport vehicle. It is also not ethical since you expect to use the transportation means with many people who might not be smoking. Somebody with asthma will be affected a lot since tobacco smoke affects their breathing. Tobacco smoke is not pleasant, and many people try to avoid it. Even if it is in your own car, you must consider the people you are traveling with since they might be affected by the smoke despite the fact that they might be quite. A lot of smoke can choke little ones who will also feel discomfort.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I absolutely hate it when people smoke in public space where they're not supposed to. These people show tremendous amount of ignorance and respect towards other. Smoking is known to be just as harmful even to non-smokers who inhale the smoke. It's within everyone's right to confront the culprit and ask them to stop. If they refuse, report them immediately to the nearest authority if there is one available.
  20. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You would just have to approach the person and tell him/her directly that smoking is not on in public transit places. I am sure that most people won't have any problems with putting out their cigarette, as they are being reminded that they might face hefty fines if they fail to do so. At times, people automatically reach for their cigarettes when they feel stressed, no matter where they are. It's almost a subconscious thing. They might not necessarily want to smoke, it's just a reaction to a situation around them.