An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking out of boredom

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by GenevB, May 15, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I think that all smokers around here know that feel, when you do light a cigarette after a cigarette, you just smoke continuously without feeling the need to, it's just that you are bored and looking to do something with your hands. You don't even feel that rush that smoking gives you, you don't enjoy it, but you still do it. How did you stop this thing, because even if it's effectively a loss of money I still do it. I do not refer to the times when I feel the urge to smoke, I refer to the times when I already smoked enough for another hour or so, but I keep on smoking.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally, I've definitely been in that situation. Living alone doesn't help and sometimes it is hard to find enough things to keep you occupied. Instead of having a cigarette because you want one, you tend to have one just because they're there and you've nothing better to do.
  3. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

This is why I smoked so heavily before when I was in college. All the free time just bugged me and smoking seemed like the only thing to do to past the time. I think that keeping busy is the best way to avoid this habit. I play video games and work on stuff to avoid the sudden impulse to smoke.
  4. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

But how do you manage the situations when you are outside just hanging out and you can't help yourself stop smoking, you just smoke because you have nothing better to do with your hands. I've found myself in that situation too often.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to smoke all of the time out of sheer boredom. If I had nothing better to do, I would step outside and smoke a cigarette even if I did not need one. I spent a lot of money over the years just to give me something to do for a few minutes when I had nothing better to do. Pathetic, but so true.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Yes, I think this is a common problem among all addicts, not just smokers. I think a lot of the addictions are just engrained in our brains. My dad is a smoker and he once told me that he smokes only because he has an addiction, not because he likes it.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I know this feeling only too well. Try and determine which cigarettes you are smoking because you genuinely craved them and which ones you smoked out of sheer habit or boredom. For example, I would always smoke a cigarette whilst waiting for the bus - this was a habit. I started to cut these type of cigarettes out and waited until I actually wanted one.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

I personally don't smoke that much when I'm bored. I usually smoke a lot when I'm excited, drinking or chatting on the phone. I always find something to do, so boredom is really not much of a problem for me.
  9. Rosyrain

The only time when boredom is an issue for me is when I have extended amounts of time away from work. I tend to get too settled and have too much time on my hands, especially during the winter months when it is too cold to go out and do anything. To give myself a reason to step out and get air, I would light up.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

My former job required me to stay endless hours at a desk with a monitor in front of my face, so I would get quite bored oftentimes. One day, I didn't even realize I was smoking, and when my shift ended, I realized I ran out of a pack in a time span of within 8 hours! I really felt bad, more for my lungs, haha.

On a serious note, smoking out of boredom, and furthermore, without even realizing it, is bad and should be avoided at all cost.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think my fiance has the same problem, I think he smokes out of boredom most of the time or at least that is what he claims. I believe him, because it seems he smokes much more when he has too much time off, I try to ask him every 3 to 4 days how many cigarettes he has smoked, I know that if he has had some extra time off he will surely tell me he has smoked more cigarettes that he usually does.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It used to happen to me a lot, it was rather a habit… used to smoke my first cigarette before school at 6:50 am, and I did that for more than one year and there was a time when I didn’t enjoyed that cigarette anymore, I just keep up doing it because I was used to it. Besides that, I used to smoke because I needed to have something to hold because I’ve never known what to do with my hands when I’m walking, it sounds pretty stupid, but it was my experience.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think boredom in general is the reason why people have relapses. An idle mind tends to wonder and we forget why we quit in the first place. Best to stay busy and active and not let boredom set in.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  14. Rosyrain

I do not have time to get bored very often with a family and job, but there are days in which boredom sets in and I would love to go smoke just to have something to do. It is hard not to wander over to the fridge or pantry and grab a snack every hour, but I manage to stay strong. If I am having a craving I will usually go and get a Coke because the bite from the carbonation and the sweet taste satisfies me.
  15. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Lol, exactly. Once, not long ago I bought myself three packs of cigarettes and managed to smoke them all out in about 2-3 days it was definitely sick, and I didn't feel the need to smoke, I have only done it because I was bored and had nothing more entertaining to do at my house. :(