An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking programs

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by sadiemarie, Nov 14, 2014.

1. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

Does anyone know of any low cost or free program that helps you with quitting smoking? I am trying to quit by cutting back gradually. I have been struggling and could really use some help.
  2. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

It might sound silly by CVS recently made a big move by eliminating the sale of cigarettes in all their stores. Right now they are heavily promoting this and have signs and information about what to do if you need help quitting in all their stores. The actually have a lot of tips and info on their web page as well:
    http://www.cvs.com/quit-smoking/

It might be worth visiting one of their stores to see if they are offering any discounts/rebates/incentives on smoking reduction aids if you think that might be of help to you.

Keeping cutting back, you can do it!
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That is a really good question. I'll look into the CVS site, even though we don't have that store in my area. Thanks, Sammy.

Quitting smoking is extremely difficult, especially if you've been doing it for a long time. I tried the cutting back, and it can help, but it's really about changing the habit of smoking. Like, I always smoke after eating. I have to stop doing that first, etc.
  4. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Google "free smoking Cessation class" with state, town you live in and some helpful info and resources that are local should come up
  5. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

A class might be beneficial, but basically, I know what I need to do. It's the actually doing that's the problem. Quitting isn't really my problem. Staying quit is. If that makes sense.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I tried mediation and it really works! You can get some free videos online. Check out youtube for free meditation videos and see if it works for you. I think this and replacing that habit with another will help.
  7. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

You could also talk with your doctor and see if going on a prescribed medication might help. I was put on Welbuturin and didn't smoke for a year on it! Problem was, I ended up having panic attacks and had to be taken off it. This is a rare side effect that happens to few people and unfortunately I was one of them. But, those medications work like magic to quit smoking.
  8. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Well, try to get scared of the effects. Research on the ill effects of smoking. My father was once a chain smoker. When he saw blood coming out from his spit one day, the next day he quit smoking.
  9. LaurenChaste

LaurenChaste Member

My dad is such a heavy smoker and I really would like for him to quit. Doctors have told him many times that he needs to stop. I need answers myself.
  10. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Member

I don't know where you live, of course, but in New York City, the Department of Health has a program where they give free nicotine gum to anyone who ask for it. They may have something similar in your state or county. you might want to check for it. You can look into e-cigs too. At least that way you can cut back as you work on quitting.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This might be a silly question, but I'm just curious: is it really impossible for you to quit smoking on your own, without the help of a program? I guess you should consider their suggestions above if it's that impossible. You may, however, start something on your own, one step at a time, so that the moment you enroll in the program, you're already halfway to quitting completely.
  12. LaurenChaste

LaurenChaste Member

Oh I live outside of St. Louis, MO. Do I'll just have to look around there. I'm sure they will or might have the same resources.
    Thank you!
  13. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Actually, visit your local health clinic - there are actually government funded programs that will send you quitting materials and supplements ( gum, patches, etc. ) free of charge. Definitely worth looking into - will save you a ton of money buying the stuff.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Fr a cheap way to ween yourself off cigarettes, I would recommend trying out vaporizers. The high powered and most effective ones should only cost you around $80 average to get started and buying the juice for it is super cheap and even much cheaper than cigarettes. It's much better for you because it doesn't have tar but it also gives you enough of a nicotine fix that you might need to minimize your cigarette intake.
  15. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

The one that I know of is so far away from where you are. It is in my region. Only the rich can afford to go here because the charges are high. It is the law of demand and supply. If you cannot get one, then you have to work very hard on your own to stop smoking. Take one day at a time; keep trying even when you fail.
  16. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am glad that you are trying to stop smoking. I am also glad that you asked this question. I am sure that a lot of people want the same information. I have never been a smoker but I see so many people struggling to stop.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Try vaping, it isn't cheap, but it might help you stop smoking cigarettes. I have heard this has worked for several people already, plus there is no question: vaping is way safer than smoking cigarettes. I actually hope I can convince my fiance to start doing the same and vaping instead of smoke those nasty cigarettes.
  18. rtorir

rtorir Member

Quitting smoking completely is a difficult science. It becomes a good experience when you succeed considering the detriments of smoking. Besides cutting back gradually, another method that may help is the nicotine gum or patch. Instead of smoking, you regularly deliver nicotine via patch or gum. This minimizes health implications and prevents nicotine withdrawal effect. However, this has some disadvantages one of them being that you may become reliant on the nicotine gum themselves.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe you can try asking health officials near your area or city if they have free programs and assistance for those who like to quit smoking. You can also try looking online on various videos or articles that feature various ways that one can use to quit smoking the healthy way.
  20. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

They say that to stop smoking is harder than to quit drinking. I mostly smoked when I was having a drink. So when I stopped drinking, I also did so with smoking. Just like that.Nothing gradual, I just quit. And since then I never even had a craving for either drinking or smoking.