An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking & Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by MrMegistus, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MrMegistus

MrMegistus Member

I can't say that I suffer from substance abuse related to alcohol, but I do have a problem with abusing marijuana. When I first started smoking it, it seemed like the world would turn into Candyland, with gumdrops and cinnamon raining from the sky... after awhile, I noticed how I didn't get the same effects from smoking as when I started. That wasn't the problem though. It was when I did decide to smoke and I'd get none of the sensations and feelings that I used to get. It got to the point where I had to smoke just to feel like everything in my day was going smoothly. I've come a long way since earlier this year. An incident with facial palsy caused me to cut down on my smoking. I can't say that the palsy incident was caused by the smoking, but I didn't want to take any chances. I have slowly started back up smoking again, although not as bad as I used to earlier this year. I only hope that someone can relate to what I've written and understand that any type of substance abuse takes time to overcome - and some never overcome it, they just find ways to deal with it day by day. Thanks for reading and I hope others contribute in a way that helps.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

MrMegistus,
    Welcome to the forum, and please do not hesitate to post questions & comments. We have a wide variety of members here, that I am positive can relate to what you are going through, including myself. I understand that it can be hard to quit, especially with today's ever increasing presence of marijuana in the public spotlight. I think that it's a great thing that you are hear, and if you ever need some one on one advice, do not hesitate to contact any of us. You're not alone in this fight.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Welcome, MrMegistus! Thanks for sharing.
  4. ariana_

ariana_ Member

Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing your story. I can relate to how marijuana seemed amazing at first. I had a problem with that too, a few years ago. I've cut down too. Congratulations on cutting down, it inspires me to keep going :)
  5. camsdad

camsdad Member

I hear mixed things about marijuana from people. some can smoke all day and you would't think there was a problem and some people start to loose love for it when they get older. When I was a teenager, I'd smoke with friends and it wouldn't take a lot to get the job done. we'd get the munchies and laugh our faces off. as I got older pot started having really weird side effects,things like paranoia and increased heart rate. I had to slow down, I still smoke but not as much.
  6. jon

jon Active Contributor

I have also had a severe struggle with quitting smoking. I start feeling like everything is happening to fast, and I start experiencing emotional mood swings. But I never quit trying to stop, and I have cut down on my smoking a lot as well. Keep trying

7. bombshell

bombshell Member

I personally smoked marijuana everyday for over 15 years and was lucky enough to not have a hard time at all quitting. As a matter of fact I decided one day to quit last year and haven't smoked or even thought about it much since. Like Jon though, I have a hard time with quitting cigarettes. The thought alone gives me severe anxiety.