An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking tea.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There are people that in a attempt to stop smoking cigarettes have turned to tea. I personally don't think that it will work, as your body wants nicotine and tea doesn't contain nicotine.

Has anyone tried it?
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

ahhhh no...but way back in the stone age when I was a college student I did smoke cocoa leaves. It was a brand called Free that attempted to give users a smoking experience that was nicotine free. The smoke was sweet, and it was a novelty but I don't think it lasted too long. It didn't have the kick of nicotine obviously.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Who knows but that's exactly the point: cut one addiction and replace it with another - possibly one that's harmless. It will work if you set your heart into leaving smoking. There's something about it that's psychological so if you start a new and better habit, the old one will unlikely haunt you.
  4. Joethefirst

The unfortunate thing is that tea smoking isn't healthy, it is just as carcinogenic as regular cigarettes are, but I agree with you. Ate the end of the day you are just displacing the problem, not really finding a solution for it.
  5. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I've been hearing of people doing that as well. I honestly think it's very unhealthy in my personal opinion. Then again so is smoking. It just seems like it's something that wouldn't be good to inhale into your lungs. I know of a lot of people in my family that have actually turned to vaping. I personally don't think it's all that healthy either, but it's seems to me like it's probably the healthiest form of smoking, because honestly I think any form of smoking is bad for your health. Our bodies were not meant to breath in smoke. Our lungs are made so we can breath and survive. Why would anyone want to affect an organ that allows you to breath and stay alive? I just don't understand any of this. My advice to everyone is to just not smoke. It just isn't worth it. That's just my opinion on the matter.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I didn't know that there are people who smoke tea leaves but I believe that as long as you inhale smoke then it will have some harmful effects. I looked around the web and found this:

http://www.smokingeffectson.com/smoking-tea-bad/
    Smoking tea wouldn't quell your nicotine cravings and you might find yourself getting addicted to another substance in the process of trying to beat one addiction.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This reminds me of an episode of a UK TV show called The Inbetweeners, where the boys attempt to smoke the contents of a teabag. There was also a time when me and my schoolfriends smoked dried banana skins in an attempt to get high.

There's always some urban myth floating around about how you can get high from everyday foodstuffs.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Smoking tea doesn't sound appealing at all. It just sounds like it's going to continue the smoke in the lungs and possibly lead you to being addicted to some sort of alternative. I don't know what tea would do for you exactly. I feel like it would just taste disgusting and you won't be getting anything out of it.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Is that so? I am not really aware of the negative effects of tea smoking. But why on earth is tea cancerous when many people across the world drink it (particularly Asians and Europeans)? Is there a particular difference between the health teas we drink and the teas used for tea smoking?
  10. Joethefirst

The tea is the same, it's the regular tea you get in tea bags, the big difference is the way you consume it. Anything that you smoke is potentially carcinogenic.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read about tea leaves being smoke. I think that anything that being burned and smoked is also as bad as smoking the usual cigarette. It can be harmful.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

There are a few different things that people smoke. I don't see the point in blowing smoke in your lungs. I guess maybe if you want to kick the cigarettes.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have to admit to trying this once, not to replace tobacco/nicotine either. It was many years ago, I was young and was told that it had a similar effect to weed so I tried it. It was awful and didn't do anything. On that note, I also tried smoking banana skins and also peanut skins - banana skins were mild and pleasant but weird. Peanut skins blow your brain out of your head out into the universe and back again in about ten seconds flat - DON'T ever try it!
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Smoking tea is a waist of time. I wouldn't smoke tea because it doesn't really do anything. I tried to smoke green tea before and it taste pretty good and had a mild buzz to it but that was it. You can't replace cigarettes with tea. I think that just quitting or weening of by vaping helps better.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It amazes me the stuff people will ingest into their bodies to try to alter their consciousness. I mean your body is the only one you will ever have, and ingesting things that you don't what the effect will be, to me just seems stupid. However, I am not perfect, but some things are just so dangerous.
  16. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi friend, stay away from smoking tea. I have a friend that started smoking tea leaves to stop smoking and he started getting high with them. It wasn't your regular high, he was having hallucinations. He thought it was cool, so he showed it to 2 of the friends we have in common. For one of the guys that tried the tea leaves, for some weird reason it didn't sit well. I don't know if he did to much or what, but he went into a coma. He eventually woke up, but he has never been the same again. He was going to college and was doing well, but with the damage done to his mind, his future went down the drain. Such a sad story.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I never even knew smoking tea was a thing - but yes, I would imagine that anything you're lighting on fire and breathing in probably has carcinogenic properties. I think if you're trying to quit smoking the best approach would be to work out what situations are making you really crave a cigarette and working on addressing the behavior and emotions involved rather than substituting the addiction with something else.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

Waw! I have never seen somebody smoking tea but I usually hear about it. Smoking tea has got its own effects, including colds. I have never tried that and I wonder how can one get high from smoking tea. I think that one can be addicted to the behavior which can lead to smoking cigarettes.
  19. juno

juno Community Champion

I have never heard of smoking tea, but I can imagine that the little bit of caffeine in the tea might help substitute the nicotine addiction. Be careful not to get addicted to caffeine and keep in mind that if you are smoking it, then it is still bad for your lungs. Smoke is smoke no matter where it is coming from.
  20. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Wow you learn something new every day. I have never heard of smoking tea before. I never even knew that people did such a thing. Smoking is smoking though so I can't see how it would be any good for you.