An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking while pregnant.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Eashow10, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Eashow10

Eashow10 Member

Did you smoke while you were pregnant? Did you quit while pregnant, how did you do it?
  2. Carrara

Carrara Member

My closest friend was a heavy smoker - much worse than myself. Once she found out that she was pregnant, she quit instantely. According to her, she didn't have any desire to smoke any longer and didn't have to take any additional measures. When I asked her, how can I quit smoking - she replied to me that I should get pregnant :p And three years later, she kept up and doesn't smoke to this day.

However, I know it's not easy in the same way for everybody. I had a friend many years ago who tried quiting whilst being pregnant - and to no avail. In contrast, she told me that she wanted to smoke even more after becoming pregnant and that she couldn't bear to quit.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

My wife used to smoke when she was pregnant. After insisting for a while, she quit after all, but I really had to convince her she wouldn't have wished to have a kid with malformations. We came to an agreement in the end, but oh boy, the struggle for that...
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I could see some pregnant here who smoke and can even be considered as chain smokers. Sad that they do not care about the baby in the womb as they do not worry about their health. Even some of them are educated enough that smoking is bad, they still smoke while pregnant.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

My aunt is a heavy smoker since about 20 years ago, and she has three kids...it was hard for her but while she was pregnant she had to quit, but then she started all over again when the child was born, so I think that it didn't make a big difference...the kids are obviously second hand smokers and that really messes up with their general health, she should completely quit before she decided to have any kids.
  6. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I think the only was I would stop smoking is if I got pregnant. I can never smoke infront of children because I worry about the child breathing in second hand smoke.