An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Snacking

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by rainbowguard, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I'm quite hesitant to post this on this thread but I found snacking or eating in general helps me reduce my frequency of smoking. I know this is similar to replacing one addiction with another and that's why I'm quite hesitant but I guess it won't hurt to share this on this thread.

Back then, I was smoking one pack per day and had no food appetite but gradually, I started to substitute food for tobacco and it worked surprisingly well. It worked the best when the food was extremely salty, sweet, or spicy like Doritos, Hot Tamales, grapes, etc. Right now, I barely smoke at all except during certain special occasions (my frequency decreased to less than a pack per month and I have to throw away stale cigarettes occasionally). Right now, I am also able to shift the food choice to healthier ones as long as they are extremely salty, spicy, or sweet but I still feel I replaced one addiction with another.
    muthoni likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are some addictions which are more healthier than others. Being addicted to food would only be bad for you if you don't exercise. However if you regularly exercise and don't pile on flab I think it's OK. If your method of overcoming your addiction to smoking is eating a little bit more then if it works, I say go for it.
  3. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Congratulations on being able to cut down on smoking. I hope that you will be completely clean soon. The beauty of food is that it helps your body. You can burn off extra calories easily by taking a walk or going to the gym if you need to be more committed. Since you are taking a lot of salt and sweets do not forget to drink lots of clean water.
  4. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

You are certainly right but i feel having control of oneself no matter the situation is ideally the best.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Awesome job. I recently quit smoking myself and do snack a bit more than I used to. I keep a bag of nuts in my desk at work because that is a healthier option than chips. Chewing a lot of gum works too, but your jaw can get sore after a while.
  6. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

I am super excited about you kicking the habit of smoking that is really awesome! I do think that if you are going to replace it with food to fill the void it should be something healthy. Of course too much of anything isn't good but for right now its a start! Look at it this way if you could stop smoking you can definitely moderate your junk food intake. Just look at it as your hardest hurdle is already accomplished! Good Luck!
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

First of all, congratulations, as I think quitting cigarettes is one of the addictions that is hard to correct so achieving it is no small matter. I do think that your method is a good one despite substituting one addiction for another since eating is much easier to correct as you could either supplement it with exercise to stay healthy or like you said you could even just start moving towards healthier snacks anyway, whereas there is no such substitute or supplement for smoking addiction that would make it better.
  8. sklauda1

sklauda1 Member

A lot of people end up eating in place of smoking. It is one reason why people do not want to quit is they are afraid they will gain weight. I think it has to do with keeping your hands busy also. However if you snack on whole grains and veggies, you might be okay.

But what do I know about eating right. I'm a whale :p
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Thanks all for the encouragements and thanks also for the assurance that I am on the right path even though it was not perfect. The reason I was quite unsure of it is because I have received criticisms about my eating habits as well and it was only slightly lower than the amount of criticisms I received when I was still smoking. My family treats them almost equally. For them, smoking is bad but snacking is only slightly better. They are more afraid of alcohol than tobacco and a lot of my parents' relatives smoke as well even though they don't.

I hope this can help some people even though I don't know if this applies to everyone but as I said, food that is extremely salty, sweet, or spicy works best for me. It's because I would still feel the void if the food is missing those "kicks". Here are some foods that I have tried that might be better than my regular snacks:
    -Overripe fruits (fruits that have become too sweet and too soft) like overripe oranges, blueberries, Asian pears, watermelons
    -Korean kimchi
    -Normal dish but with extra chili sauce
    -Sugar free gums
    -Coffee or tea (extra sugar for me)
    -Dried salted fish
    -Whole grain cereal (I add sugar for the taste)
    -Wheat bread with jam or sugar
    -Beef jerky (questionable in terms of healthiness)
    -Tostitos with salsa (questionable)
    -Luna bar (questionable)
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

A lot of people using smoking to stay thin. When they get hungry, they smoke and the nicotine helps with hunger as well. Many people use it as a method in dieting and when they don't smoke they gain weight. So, you are not the first to correlate eating with smoking. However, my advice is to be careful not to use it as ago to every time you feel like a smoke, since it can become habitual. Of course, some habits are healthier than others, so if you do want to use food as a mechanism to reduce smoking, then maybe you can stick to zero calorie foods like flavored water or celery.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Once you feel you are over smoking you can begin trying to regulate your eating to become more balanced. You can also replace some snacks with healthier options. Do this slowly and don't get rid of everything. Do exercise as this is essential for optimum health. Begin slowly.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Don't worry too much if you gain an extra pound or two - you will gradually feel like exercising much more and this will counteract it. Plus, a little extra weight is nothing compared to the damage that smoking does to your body. Well done!
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah it's pretty bad when you are replacing food with cigarettes but this is how it works for some people. Believe it or not salt is a type of drug that we don't need. It bloats your body and does some serious damage to cells in the body. I've been trying to cut out salt altogether. Sweets, just eat tons of fruit to replace sugary stuff. You need it anyway. Processed salty and sugary stuff is almost as bad as the cigarettes. You will end up with health problems that will sneak up on you.
    If anyone is replacing food with cigarettes you are seriously abusing yourself. Its like starving yourself and just pumping cancerous smoke in your body.