An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sniffing School Supplies

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Miaka_M, May 15, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

When I was in middle school, a trend had started roaming the halls of the school. My classmates would sniff whiteout and liquid glue, all in order to get "high" off of them. We were probably around the age of 13 when this started. I'll admit that I tried it once, but the scent was ghastly. I could not understand why there was such a huge hype about these things. Because of this, liquid glue and whiteout were banned from the school!

I couldn't believe that a group of students would hide out during recess and fool around with these supplies. How is it that this could be such a grand addiction? Does this make you wonder if your own children are trying things like this in school?
    SunnySkies likes this.
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

The curiosity levels are high during the earlier ages. Kids might have watched someone sniffing drugs (live / TV). They get curious easily and since they can't get the drugs, they move on to something 'lighter', something that wouldn't be thought of as an intoxicant. Liquid glue and whiteout have a few compounds that gives the consumer a temporary state of 'highness'. Some kid might have tried it first, and others just imitated thinking it's cool to do so.
  3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Inhalants pose a high risk of death. They pose a high risk of brain damage also. It's sad because they often think it's harmless. There isn't a slow decline in health, somebody just gets hit with it.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like there's an age where kids are super susceptible to peer pressure -- and a lot of the time if someone says jump, another person will say how high? If sniffing glue seems "cool" then I think the pressure can be there for someone to fit in and do it themselves. It's understandable the school banned liquid glue, and I'm sure any school that noticed a problem like that would take similar steps too. When I was growing up the thing that a lot of teens were doing was sniffing aerosol paint cans. As a result the government actually took steps to restrict the sale of aerosol paint cans to only people 18 years or over.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The scary thing about inhalants is that they are so accessible to youngsters. They’ll run across the idea somewhere and try it out because they can’t always get anything else so easily, and partly due to peer pressure. And inhalants are indeed much more dangerous than kids are often aware. Same goes for so many “trendy” highs. People, not just youngsters, will sometimes do anything to get a fix, and so many of these quick fixes are incredibly high-risk.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I've only seen middle school kids do this. I never understood how kids got high off of that, but maybe that is just me.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Do you have a link to a study about this or something? I would love to know more about this.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I have a question: Is this still a thing? I would think with the ease & availability of getting street drugs & prescriptions of all sorts this would have phased itself out. Why sniff glue when you can pick up some coke from a senior? A fiscal thing?
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Not really sniffing my school supplies, but I remember to have liked the smell of new supplies when I was in elementary school. Either actively, but the characteristic smell of the stores specialized in selling these supplies, and then having this smell at home while putting pencils, notepads, rulers, etc. into my bag.

After few days the smell was gone unnoticeable and life kept going on. Never thought to sniff any of these items, much less to figure out the could be used to get high. And look that by the time I was 6 or 7, glue had solvents that later were void and substituted for other substances in the attempt to prevent drug addiction.

I learned this because by this time I was already a grown up person, so go figure it those students doing sniffing today would have done it when glue was potentially more addictive. They would be regular visitors to the hospital emergency room today.
  11. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

When kids are at the age they are so curious and tempted by peer pressure which is really sad because they don't think of the consequences it could cause. I never understood the fun of it either, the smell is disgusting and I don't think the high is anything more than a headache.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I inhaled Tipp-Ex once, from a plastic bag. All it did was give me a massive headache and I never did it again. Completely pointless exercise.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

It's gotta be a money thing. When I was in school we just raided our piggy banks for money for smoke and alcohol. Later, it was robbitussin and mini thins. Then, next thing I remember is kids started huffing gas. And air duster. And silver spray paint. And whippets. I always stayd away from all of it. Even later, when I would get super desperate, I stayed clear of all of the huffing.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do not like the smell of those and I have not seen any school mate before who become addicted to smell those. The smell of new school supplies is nice since it means those are new and you have them. :D :p
  15. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Yeah, I've heard of some middle to high school students trying out. The results varied depending on the school and the substance inhaled. Though remember, inhaling these other substances can have unknown effects on the body, due to their effects not being studied as much. This is problematic as it cause problems for treating the afflicted.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

It's still going on in my neck of the woods. that and heroin. I saw a report on the local news about heroin use rising among high school students around here. It is very sad.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That's a really interesting question that I asked myself as well during my school years. I used to watch some of my fellow students sniffing UHUglue, making little balls with it and even eating it. I also observed the same students (they were two) sniffing rubbers and chewing on scented pencils. Interestingly enough, most of the school supplies were scented and pretty. They smelled and tasted of strawberries, chocolate, orange, and so on. I wonder why.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This kind of thing went on commonly back when I was in school too. Some people would sniff glue or tippex, others would even use lighter gas (which can cause instant death) and some used poppers (rush). Incidentally, it was those same people who later went on to abuse substances like valium, antidepressants, LSD and Ecstasy. There wasn't really much marijuana around though.
  19. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I remember this. I was introduced to carbon tetrachloride which the guys were sniffing in their woodwork classes and I began to use this to get high. We would get together and each one sit down with their drug of choice. It was awful. Thank God I did not continue with this as I am told it is terribly dangerous.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've always heard of this but somehow my classmates nor I have never been able to try it. We smelled glue and pens all the time since they were around and all over the place and we were bored but it never really got us high or anything. I think by the time the ingredients that made that happen wasn't being used anymore.