An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the Forums?Join or

Sniffing School Supplies

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Miaka_M, May 15, 2015.

  1. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    I think all the people I knew who ever did inhalants like glue or aerosols were adversely affected by it. Their mental functioning is nothing like it used to be. When you have a conversation with them they talk slow, they're not too bright (any more) and they sound dopey and act like they're not quite 'with it'. If you spoke to one of them, you would automatically assume that they were a drug addict even though they don't abuse those substances any more. There's definitely a lot of brain damage caused by inhalants.
  2. kana_marie

    kana_marie Community Champion

    From what I understand it can cause serious brain damage. I mean the kind where you can't dress yourself or speak properly. Its just like any other oxygen depravation to the brain. That's the way I understand it. You shouldn't quote me on it.

    About 20 years ago I had some neighbors that huffed anything they could get their hands on. Grown adults sitting outside their apartment with silver paint around their mouths and glue sticks stuck so far up their nose they didnt even have to hold them there. It was so depressing to watch.
  3. Matthodge1

    Matthodge1 Community Champion

    @Sparkster I've never known an inhalant abuser so that's very good info to know.
  4. Tremmie

    Tremmie Community Champion

    I loved the way Rugby smelled, it was so strong, but I liked it. I was of course a little girl, I had no idea what I was doing was wrong, until I told my mom. She then told me I shouldn't be doing that, because I was killing my neurons, that scared me. This is why I can't say I am surprised those kids did that, I can totally get it actually. I never felt high per se though, I just liked the smell.
  5. Damien Lee

    Damien Lee Community Champion

    Pretty much a similar situation was occurring back when I was at school. Those early teen years where tough and the teachers would regularly scold us for sniffing glue, white out or even the paints in art class. There were already 2 kids in my class that had developed a nasty habit to sniffing glue. Fortunately, the rest of us took heed of the warnings and avoided this addiction.
  6. Coolkidhere

    Coolkidhere Community Champion

    During my time, this thankfully, is not known of. Cigarettes and alcohol are what my classmates were addicted to. But reading about this is certainly alarming. Any substance can really be addicting and even kids are prone to addictions. Good thing that your school banned those substances. Maybe the smell is something that gets them high. I did smell those when I was young but I never really liked their smell. It's weird that it can actually get people high.
  7. ZXD22

    ZXD22 Senior Contributor

    I remember when I was young my friends would love to sniff sharpies and stuff like that. They said it had a unique smell and would get then high kind if like this. I liked the Snell too only when using them, I never sniffed them.
  8. Matthodge1

    Matthodge1 Community Champion

    I always knew kids that did this stupidly and pretended to be high after they did it, but I did not really think people actually got a buzz off the stuff.
  9. Nergaahl

    Nergaahl Community Champion

    It's a bit stupid in my opinion. Why would you want to get addicted to something like that? If you really want to get addicted, at least get some powerful, quality drugs (joking)!

    Now let's be serious, it's a pathetic way or getting addicted to something. And it doesn't even make you look "cool". They got into it just for the sake of getting addicted to something.
  10. kgord

    kgord Community Champion

    I don't know but it is a scary trend. Sniffing anything like that can cause brain damage especially if done repetitively. I know some young kids who painted their fingers with white out and sniffed it to get high. When I was a teacher, one of the young students I mean really a first grader or something.died from sniffing gas from a grill...A type of huffing.
  11. Tsky45

    Tsky45 Community Champion

    I agree with you I don't understand it. Sniffing glue and white out sounds disgusting, but some do it. I think doing this would give you brain damage. The fact that this became a trend is probably why kids were even doing it. Trends are the worst addictions themselves, If someone started a trend of people gluing there butts to toilet seats kids might start doing it.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

    ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

    A parent always thinks and want the best education for their children that is why if they had the money they will send them to the best or even expensive schools where they can be safe and well educated. But sad to say sometimes this thing are being distracted by the kind of peer groups their children had in school who are encouraging them to do things that will ruin their learning like this one...sniffing school supplies...Young children will surely encounter being curious to many things in that stage in their life and we cannot avoid it and it depends on your children how to avoid this kind of temptation. And as parents it is best to keep reminding and guiding them when it comes to matters like this.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  13. JohnBeaulieu

    JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

    Dangerous assumption. Many of these supplies contain chemicals that shouldn't be inhaled. If somebody makes the claim that it affects them there is a good chance that it does. The use of inhalants are a big problem that is aggravated by people not taking it seriously.
  14. Matthodge1

    Matthodge1 Community Champion

    Well, I knew that there were some kids that were totally faking it and were just trying to be stupid and act funny for the other kids. This was back in middle school.
  15. doatk22

    doatk22 Community Champion

    Kids are young and dumb and want to experiment and see what life is all about, but in stupid ways. It's sad that it happens and even bad enough that the school had to ban it.