An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Snorting Other Thing To Get Off Cocaine

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by melody, Feb 26, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

I told you about my coworker who is addicted to cocaine. She has tried to come up with every excuse in the book. We are friends, not just coworkers, and I think I finally got her to understand that she is on the verged of losing her job. But I think I made matters worse, not better. She gave up cocaine, but now is snorting Vicodin. She says she just loves the feeling of snorting, and can't go without it. All she has done is change from one vice to another, and I doubt that will make her job any safer.
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Some people snort Ritalin in lieu of cocaine as well. I worked with a lady that did this - she had a valid prescription for the stuff from her doctor, who supposedly stupidly informed her that crushing up a few Ritalin and snorting it was basically the equivalent of doing a line of cocaine. So while the rest of us were doing cocaine regularly, she would snort her prescription drugs. Six of one half dozen of the other I suppose.

She may also be habitually addicted to the instant rush she is getting from snorting any drug, since it kicks in faster. But it's perfectly feasible that she also has an addiction to the act of snorting itself. Many people who quit smoking still feel the urge to be holding a cigarette and drawing on it. When I quit smoking for a few years, for months afterwards every time I got in my car I still had to roll the window down and would rest my arm on the door as though I was holding a smoke.

Snorting anything like that is also going to wreak havok on the inside of her nose, which she may want to take into consideration. There were times I started getting nosebleeds so bad, that I literally had my hands cupped and filled with blood before I could even get to the sink. The blood was coming out of my nose like a faucet. You wouldn't want to be at work when something like that happens unexpectedly.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That is really dangerous for her; she has become addicted to snorting. Your friend needs professional help; she could lose her job and her life if this habit continues.

As a good friend @melody, you will need to find a center for her and take her there. She may not want to admit she has a problem but you know she does. You will be doing her a big favor if you make this move.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

It's definitely not helping at all if she's just snorting something else, as it's still an addiction. She must acknowledge the fact that her life will come to and end if she doesn't stop. Find other ways to spend that time, go camping or something. You could take her to a professional and show her what this has done to her nose. Let her know of all the consequences of her actions and maybe she will realize that she needs to stop. If none of that helps, take her to some sort of center, as that's probably your best bet at helping her kick her addiction.
  5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

This is not good, her love of snorting has got her hooked on another substance other than cocaine. There is the danger that she may resort to cocaine again if she does not eliminate the snorting habit. This habit is fraught with dangers, the stuff she is snorting could eventually destroy her nasal passage or cause other serious health issues. She needs serious intervention to help in ridding her of this snorting addiction, in order to preserve her well being.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is sad to here. One of the most important things you have to do when you give up an addiction is to stop doing the ritual to take in the drug. If she can't get past the act of snorting she might fall back to cocaine.
  7. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I took up something else the first time I tried to quit, too. All their doing is moving on to another vice, which isn't any better or any worse in the long run. I hate that people are taught that one drug is worse than another, because in the long run they are all drugs and addiction is addiction no matter what you're addicted to.
    WannaBfree likes this.
  8. melody

melody Active Contributor

Well, she lost her job. It is kind of sad because most of the people in the office are more concerned about who takes her position, than her well being. I have given her rides home on many occasions, and even gone in with her a couple of times. I wonder if it would be out of line for me to drive to her house and check on her.
  9. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I really think a lot of people have problems wrapping their heads around drug use. They think addiction is easy to kick, and that someone deserves it if their lives are ruined over it. Normally, that's not the case.

If you had a good relationship with her, I wouldn't see anything wrong with stopping by.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Well, I think that you should go check on her. You are her friend after all. She needs all the support that she can get especially now that she is more vulnerable because she has lost he job. I think that it would help her a lot if she would have someone to talk to.
  11. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

She would probably really need a friend right now, please do visit her. She will be angry at herself, and the World because she has lost her job. Her unemployment may well help her in the short term, as cocaine is fairly expensive I believe and if she has taken a big knock in her personal finances she may well find herself unable to afford it. Unfortunately financial constraints do not conquer addiction in the long term and in my experience, as soon as she obtains either another job, or some money, she will be likely to make a line of coke her number one priority - I've seen exactly that happen many times with friends. I know that cocaine is extremely addictive and she will probably require at least the help of her doctor to get off of it, see if you can talk her into discussing her addiction with medical professionals, she really is at a crossroads in her life right now.
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

People get the whole idea of quitting from drug addition wrong. Vicodin could be less lethal than cocaine but in the long term, she will invariably relapse back to cocaine. Quitting is not a physical issue alone, its also a heart and mind issue. If one has not disabused the mind, when temptation meets opportunity, a relapse is certain with possibly mere serious consequences.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

She better be careful with that... snorting meds like that is even more dangerous than snorting cocaine. Because an overdose can happen more easily, I should know. You can overdose so easily when you snort that kind of meds, you should tell her that. What she is doing is really dangerous and if she is not careful she will end up losing more than just her work.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Snorting any medication is wrong, so snorting Vicodin in an effort to quit cocaine is just crazy. But for an addict, it probably makes some sort of sense. Your coworker needs some serious help.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think your right this is just as bad. Vicodin is not something that's meant to be snorted. I'm sure it will effect someones work performance if they are snorting before they get to work. I hope your friend realizes she should quit snorting drugs before she has serious health problems in the future.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That sounds stupid to me. Not sure what snorting vicodin does to your body, but imagine that it can't be good for you. Reminds of people with eating disorders. Some go to great lengths to teach themselves that eating is bad for you and harmful by only eating flaming hot sauce. That way they train themselves to think that eating is painful and should be avoided.
  17. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

That's a hell of a lot of acetaminophen going into her nose. If she's trying to actually get high, she's wasting most of the hydrocodone and ruining her nose in the process (for no reason) by snorting it.

It makes sense, though. Aside from being addicted to the actual drug, people become addicted to the ritual of preparing and using the drug.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I didn't even know you could snort vicodin. Doesn't vicodin cost more than cocaine? I would imagine a prescription drug is more expensive to get than whatever you would pay for cocaine from a dealer.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That is not good for her nose.
    I hope your friend can find peace and beat the demons that are forcing her to snort things.
  20. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Snorting vicodine is extremely dangerous! I've had a family member die of liver failure from snorting hydrocodone/acetaminophen.