An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

So who's bringing the drugs in this country?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by DK01, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Front line drug dealers don't have planes or boats, don't have money enough to buy influence within law enforcement, and mostly don't have the intelligence to build an import/export business in which goods often originate from less developing countries. However more and more drugs are available and more and more people taking them. Question is: who's bring the drugs in the country?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Does the term " Drug barons/Drug cartels" ring any bells to you? These are powerful,well-moneyed individuals or groups who import or facilitate the importation of the drugs from source. They are usually well connected and in most instances have their people working in government agencies or law enforcement agencies,usually in their payroll. They usually bribe their way through corrupt law enforcers to make sure the drug reaches the intended markets.
  3. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Yes drug barons/drug cartels exist. but you've missed the point of my question....who are these drug barons? Are they the same people who then bastardise the users? Are the the same people who continue the 'war or drugs?' Are they perhaps actually elements within the government?
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Unfortunately they have perfected the art of staying behind the shadows and they rarely leave any loose ends that may reveal their true identities. I believe some of them are high ranking government officials or how do you explain why suspects are caught with the stash,are arraigned in court and the next day,they walk out Scot free due to inadmissible evidence?
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I believe that governments intentionally allow so much of this to happen. I doubt they would really want to completely eliminate the war on drugs, which would lead to lower crime rates, less income in fines and less work for criminal investigation departments, etc. What I do know is that 90% of the Heroin on the streets of the UK comes from Afghanistan. In fact, most of the Heroin in the world probably comes from Afghanistan.
  6. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

While I don't live in America, from the limited information I have garnered, Mexico seems to be playing a big role in the 'import' of drugs, especially marijuana into USA. Again, I don't have a lot of information but yeah, Mexico does seem to be a big player.
  7. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Exactly, that's the point I was making - there's clearly no appetite from the powers that be to actually win the so called war on drugs. I'd go further than what you've said and say that too many are actually profiteering from drugs, so in the end when it falls to them to take decisive action, suddenly it becomes a war we/they can't win. I'd go even further and say that complicity goes right to the very top, the news of HSBC hiding money for drug dealers is case in point - the line between bankers and politicians is so blurred that it would be negligent to think they're not involved.
  8. Sparkster

Ooh conspiracy theory! lol. It's pretty much really the only logical conclusion though. How can you declare a war on something that people can make in their own homes if they really want to? And of course, they need drugs like opium as a source of medications like morphine.
  9. mikka254

mikka254 Member

The technology in agriculture is so advanced these days that you can create a controlled green house that is suitable to grow whatever plant you want to grow. So you might just find that someone who owns a few acres in america secretly has a lab so it might not be imported. That might actually be the case considering how elevated the border security got after 9/11.
  10. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

This is the best explanation. Although in some instances it can be quite easy for someone who comes from poverty to make a large amount of money delivering a package from point a to b. I don't think there is a way to stop people from bringing drugs into the country.
  11. Sparkster

There are also people who are manipulated or threatened into doing so, in addition to the people who may be doing it for desperation of money. I actually know someone who was manipulated/threatened into bringing illegal substances into their country which ended up with her being hospitalized.
  12. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Any successful criminal organization in any country has some form of involvement from people with authority. These drug dealers work for people who have influence and friends in high places. There is no way they could run such a business successfully without having some form of help from someone high up.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is a chain of organized rich gangs who trade cocaine. The have dreams of being rich easily without struggling much. By having a lot of money, they can bribe for their way forward, bribing even security personnel. Politicians with great influence have also been know to smuggle cocaine. Using their influence, they can even bribe for a court case to be dropped. Others are used to ferry the drug without their knowledge. This drug smugglers are said to even own big ships that disguise as shipping oil but ship drugs.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The real people hide behind the front people who do their work for them and benefit from the profits, kind of like in the mafia the others are doing the work and the head boss profits from the money made. There would be people in authority involved individuals who don't have morals or the one who do have a conflicted one and do it to make more money. Bribery is involved in most cases, and without involvement of authority it would not be possible to be undetected and even the cops will be in on this and get money out of it.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It comes from many places and even though the ones at the front end may not have the access to boats or planes, the people behind do and they already have a system in place and many other innovative ways of sneaking it in to different countries. The unfortunate part about this is that the only real way to eliminate is problem is to legalize the substances so there wouldn't be a black market, but past propaganda has convinced the public of only the negative aspects of this solution which has made it very taboo to even talk about today.
  16. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I say doctors, pharmaceutical companies and the FDA really the ones pumping the worst drugs into this country. It is sickening.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

They come into countries mainly from cartels out of places like Mexico and Columbia. You're right, they don't have political or law on their site. But they don't need it. Instead, they have rich individuals that help funnel them in.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Recently they have been finding long tunnels in southern California that have been used for years maybe decades to bring in Marijuana in to the country from Mexico. These tunnel systems had electricity for lights, a ventilation system, and rails for a mining cart to move drugs into the USA. God knows how long those things have been in service.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Sounds like something from "The Great Escape"! In fact, that's probably where they got the idea from! I wonder how they managed to construct these tunnels yet remain undetected?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. nm1180

nm1180 Member

Usually Mexico and Columbia I believe. Texas is plagued with a lot of colombian heroin. I'm not sure how potent it is lately though. Also, in my lifetime, I would see a lot more of the brown powder than tar.