An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober for 5 years, tomorrow

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by GG88, Jan 7, 2015.

1. GG88

GG88 Member

Tomorrow is the fifth anniversary of my sobriety. It hasn't been easy, and there's rarely a day I don't think about getting hammered. But, thankfully, the frequency of the down days is becoming less and less - Christmas was even a bit easier this year! - so here's hoping that I'll continue on this journey.

My father was an alcoholic - a very abusive one. I've seen what an alcoholic parent can do to a family, and how we're all marked because of it. I'm glad I addressed my problem before it got too late.

I totally sympathize and empathize with addictions of any type.

Best of luck to everyone continuing with their journey.
    BethBrown likes this.
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

It's good to hear this! I'm happy that you chose not to follow in your father's steps. I hope everyday brings you to a better point. Keep going strong!
    GG88 likes this.
  3. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

That is so beautiful! Congratulations to you in protecting your sobriety. I appreciate the fact that you recognized your need for change and you accepted the fact that you needed to continue to keep clean. Five years in sobriety is great and you deserve the best that life has to offer to you.
    GG88 likes this.
  4. GG88

GG88 Member

Thank you. When I look back to where I was, I feel I've come such a long, long way. But it's all been worth it.

Thank you. I intend to celebrate every day, and to never take anything or anyone for granted in life again.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Congratulations GG88. I am so happy for you. I can't say I know what it feels like, but I can only imagine it must be a wonderful feeling. There is no price you can put on that feeling of accomplishment.I hope to be around to congratulate you on your 6th year of sobriety and well beyond. You are sure to be encouraged here.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    GG88 likes this.
  6. GG88

GG88 Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support I've found here in this community. There are so many people here battling the same (and worse) demons as I do every day, and it's so uplifting to know that we can keep going and feel supported.

Onwards and upwards!
    Winterybella likes this.
  7. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Well done, you obviously managed to find what i'm lacking in at the moment, will power. Enjoy the rest of your life!
    GG88 likes this.
  8. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Congratulations! This is an amazing achievement, and you should celebrate! I'm very happy for you, and wish you luck in continuing your journey of sobriety. Hopefully you can inspire other members here as well. :)
    GG88 likes this.
  9. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Five years sober is a great achievement! When I was one year sober I found myself wanting a drink to celebrate. How do you deal with wanting to drink?
    GG88 likes this.
  10. GG88

GG88 Member

Thank you! I hope you can find the will power to do it too; I know how difficult it is, so I know exactly how you're feeling.

I hope I can inspire others here too. For those who don't go through it, it's not easy for them to understand how much of a hurdle it is - they think you can just stop, and that's it. However, all of us here know that it's not like that at all. But even though it's great to celebrate it, it still reminds me of how difficult it was along the way.

Yep. That drink 'to celebrate' still pops up in my head from to time - things like Christmas, New Year etc, are the most difficult times. But coming through the other side and not having had that drink is a much bigger high than any amount of alcohol will give you.

The best remedy for those nagging times is to throw myself into one of my hobbies; get my mind and my hands busy, and the therapeutic value of doing things like that keeps me from straying.
    Mackmax likes this.
  11. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Amazing progress ! Keep at it! How do you cope with your past? Are there any facts that make you feel guilty?
  12. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Awesome journey for sobriety, thanks for sharing it with us GG88! Glad you have faced your hardships with a positive attitude and a determination to succeed where your father had failed.

Ethanol beverages are sweet but deadly killers, because to my understanding it physically is similar in effect to another type of drug called sugar and ethanol does damages one's nerves synapses - the exception is that ethanol effects other parts of one's body far more negatively than sugar.
  13. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I'm so happy to hear about your accomplishment. Five years sober is impressive. Your story gives me hope for the situation I and my boyfriend are in. We have just quit drinking in the past month. Thank you for sharing this; it is encouraging.
  14. jon

jon Active Contributor

That is great. Congratulations to you. I haven't had a drink in about four months, so, I've got a ways to go to catch up with you. But it is inspiring to hear that someone is about to celebrate their fifth year of sobriety.
  15. BethBrown

BethBrown Member

Congratulations! Five years is a long time. I think this story can give hope to many. How did you avoid temptation when it came?
  16. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Congratulations on your achievement. Few people can boast having been clean for a year, let alone five. Your determination has proven stronger than your addiction. Soon, you won't be having difficulties celebrating any holiday. You seem to be the kind of person who chases his goals and doesn't give up easily. Please, don't ever lose that quality of yours! Best of luck.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I'm happy to hear that as of yet, you've been really successful through your recovery. I hope this would continue in the long run. If you feel like going back to the old habit, just remember all the hardships that you've already gone through just to be able to pull yourself back together again. Have a great life!