An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober House, the TV Show

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by sonia11, Aug 6, 2015.

1. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Did anyone ever watch the show on VH1 called Sober House? It seemed like their rules were really lax, with people just quitting and coming back whenever they felt like it. And a couple of the celebs who were featured on the show have since succumbed to their addictions, so I'm not sure how much good it did. Just wondering, for those who know how it works in the real world, do you think this show was accurate? Would you be able to do sober living with the added stress of cameras on you all the time?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@sonia11... I never saw that show, but I can tell you from experiences with my son that there are all different kinds of sober living houses. Some are just there to make money and will have more relaxed rules. They'll take people who are court-ordered into sober living, even if they're not clean and sober when they move in. But there are also wonderful sober living homes that have strict rules, much structure, and really help their residents maintain sobriety. It's like anything else: there are good ones and bad ones. As far as cameras in a sober living house, I think that would be a recipe for disaster. Also, having two members of my family who have worked as producers on reality shows, I can tell you that a lot of what you see on those shows is anything but reality. Lots of "reality" shows are totally scripted.
  3. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I've only seen a few episodes of it. I didn't really like it all that much. To me it seems a lot like other shows that's like it. That's something I really hate, when a show is like another. Just not really a fan of it.