New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober Living Home Locator

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by Jen S., Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

2. Igotthebuzz

Igotthebuzz Member

I believe that a lot of times they set certain people up for failure. They build corner stores right down the street from a school. But why , kids will be seeing drunks going and coming from school. Being that they see that everyday , they'll that is okay. Which it is not
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I can understand your point of view on this, Igotthebuzz. It'd be nice not to be overloaded with things likely to trigger us, but personally I believe we can get clean and sober anywhere. Once we're actually willing to do the work required.
    pstrong1969 and ONTOP like this.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think that this is a great idea really, these communities can really help out as a first step and once we feel strong enough we can go back to real life again.
  5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are very right on that one , there are some neighbourhoods, where you can find a liquor store at every corner, which makes it difficult for both adults and kids to resist their desire for alcohol.
  6. Gelsemium

I don't believe that people are set for failure, some circumstances in life just make it easier for us to get into the addiction, but it's always in our power to avoid that.
  7. ShwazFan

ShwazFan Member

Ive been trying to get into a sober living home in delray beach, fl. My problem is the deposit to move in. Once I get in my employer will make sure my weekly rent is paid. Until I can get in, I have to live with an addict and I wind up using. I really want to get into Recovery Inn. I need this and want it. Just don't have the $250 to get my foot in the door.
    Joseph likes this.
  8. Gelsemium

Ouch, that's really sad to hear Fan, there is no one in your life that can give you that amount? I mean, it's not that much money and consuming drugs meanwhile doesn't seem the best idea.
    ONTOP and Joseph like this.
  9. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I hope you were able to get the $250 ? If your employer is willing to make sure your weekly rent is paid maybe they would also pay the $250 and consider it as a pay advance ?

I think the sober living home locator was a good idea to post. I see there are ton's of places besides Phenox house, in my area. My cousin has been being bounced from one sober house to another, all DSS supported/paid for. Maybe the locator will be helpful in finding one he can stay at longer.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. Gelsemium

That is a good idea Teresa, the employer might have interest in such a situation and give you the advance so that you can move in, have you tried that?
    Teresa likes this.
  11. ProShell

ProShell Member

There is one of these in my town, and they are usually very well run. The men and women are all kinds of people, but the one thing they have in common is that they want a quieter, better life that's clean.

It works pretty well for them, they have low rent and few bills.
  12. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

This seems like a great tool. As I said in another thread, search not only for sober living homes in your immediate area, but also check out the details of each one of them individually, even broadening your search area if necessary. Some offer more perks than others, such as incentivizing staying clean by providing free improvement sessions, meetings and sponsor programmes, and can even reward you for successive weeks of responsible, dedicated behaviour to self-improvement and staying sober.

These centers can be pretty strict on the timely rents they demand (more so than regular housing), but consider it a challenge and opportunity for you to help regain total control of your life and become truly responsible and independent!
  13. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

It is a great tool indeed Crimson, it allows every person to locate sober homes in their areas. I feel it can be really helpful hat we live in a sober living community, it's hard enough to quit drinking, so these sort of communities have to be a major boost for those who have the possibilities to go there.
  14. I think that it would be a good idea to ask for an advance. Also, if you want to change you life you have to do what ever it takes to leave that stuff behind. How about taking a couple of side jobs to raising the money...maybe mowing a couple of yards, cleaning some cars. If there is a will there is a way.
  15. sunflogun

That is the spirit introspectiv, $250 it's not that much and we can work for that if we really put the effort into it. Asking an advance could also mean a compromise and involvement at your work, that could be something useful.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This seems to be only for the USA, does anyone by chance happen to have some information relating to Sober Living Homes in Canada? Or, do you guys/gals have first hand experience not only if internationals are allowed in American Sober Living Homes but how they are also treated? Finally do any of the rules/terms change when you are not from us USA?
  17. sunflogun

These seem to be government initiatives and eventually the Canada government hasn't started that program just yet. The success of it in the US is definitely good advertising.
  18. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

@ShwazFan were you ever able to get in? I hope so!

I don't think it's setting them up for failure neccessarily by being near a liquor store. It's up to the individual to choose to see it as a challenge they can overcome.
  19. sunflogun

Come on, we know that it depends on us, but putting an alcoholic close to a liquor store is really make his/her life harder in a time when he doesn't need extra difficulties.
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Oh, I know it's obviously not the ideal. However, especially in some cities, there just isn't a choice. The possibility of living near one while NOT in a sober living home is high also, so wouldn't it be better to be near one WHILE you have the extra support and accountability? To be challenged with a team behind you rather than wait to face that on your own?