An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober Living Home Locator

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by Jen S., Oct 4, 2014.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yes, that does make sense. It's not ideal to be living in a bubble, so eventually being near a store while we are in a more or less controlled environment can be a good test to us.
  2. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I agree to a point about this issue. I do agree if you have a desire to stay clean and are willing to work at it anything is possible. My AA sponsor has been clean almost 7 yrs. and he works on the road with guys who drink and he stays clean and sober. The thing about this issue is why do people want to tempt fate and go to a bar that serves good food and watch people drinking. Thats living vicariously thru others and will set you up for a relapse.
  3. sunflogun

It's all about motivation sure, but to start we do need some support. After a few weeks or months we should just work on stay stronger and see that as a distant reality.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

While I'm convinced that people are not set to failure, some individuals do fail due their own approach to a given situation.

In example, individuals who are uncertain of achieving a goal fearing to fail, and then failing. It's not because they want to fail, but an unconscious response that push them to do the wrong things.
    sunflogun likes this.
  5. sunflogun

Yes, I totally agree with that Digital. When we are not sure if we will make it, we most likely fail. We need to be sure that we can to put on our very best.
  6. shellybean808

shellybean808 Member

There are alternative ways to recovery but I think Sober Living Homes are a good way to go for recovering addicts. Of course there may be times when a recovering addict may relapse due to being in a house local to where they once used but it's still a great tool to stay clean. Therefore I think yes, any recovering addict from most walks of life would do great at a Sober Living House. At a SLH all individuals have to attend some type of treatment whether it be formal or peer, no matter how you look at it it's always better to have support than not.