An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober living homes are probably best

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by Brem, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I have a few family members who were heavy drinkers and the best way we helped them was to keep alcohol out of the house. I used to like drinking as well, but I noticed I would drink a little too much, so I cut it out as well. The best way to make sure someone stays sober is to take all of the things that entice them away. Sober living homes are great, but we can make our own sober living homes by making sure to get rid of all the alcohol and make sure none of it comes in.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

That is a wise move but only becomes effective if everyone involved takes part in it. A collective responsibility by the whole family is crucial so as to make sure the resolution sticks. I have seen entire families change for good after deciding to have 'sober living homes'. It is common to find beer and all manner of alcoholic drinks in homes. When kids see this, they grow thinking it's a normal thing till they reach teenage life. This is when they also start engaging in alcohol without the knowledge of their parents. When kids grow up seeing sober parents in their homes, it plays a significant role in their life.
    MrsJones and karmaskeeper like this.
  3. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

It is a great concept but it will only work on one condition, if everyone agrees to it. If one person brings in alcohol everyone will probably drink. Also, you have to set up a few ground rules as to what and what not to do.
  4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Yes taking out all alcohol from the house or even any alcohol parafinalia, is a great way to reduce or stop people from drinking.
  5. Geinnam

Geinnam Member

We have no alcohol in our home. My husband has been sober for over 20 years, but lives daily with the knowledge that it could all fall apart with one drink. We recognize this as a serious disease and have to treat it as such. Just as a diabetic cannot have sugar, my husband cannot have alcohol. With that mindset, we have to adjust in social situations. Just as a diabetic might have to forgo the wedding cake, we forgo the champagne.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree the ideal place to final get some help would be a sober house. Totally disconnect a addict to all distractions and influences. No relapses.
    MrsJones and karmaskeeper like this.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I live in a sober living home when my husband is away. He is a over the road trucker and comes in between 2 and 3 weeks at a time. He is a drinker as soon as he gets home I'm on pins and needles. I do love him very much he is a good provider and has a caring heart. When he drinks that all changes for the worst. I've been sober over 4 years now. It's hard enough on its on, but when you have to live with a drunk it makes it even harder.

When he leaves back out I must say it is a bit of a relief. He usually keeps his beer on the back of his pick up truck in a cooler. Must have his beer ice cold, he knows if he leaves it in the fridge it will go in the trash. I hate having beer in the house and he knows it. If I don't throw it away I will give it away there are a lot of drinkers here where I live.
  8. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I think it's a great idea but I also think it certainly needs a buy in from everyone for it to work. Shaping the environment to make good decisions easier and bad decisions harder are what it's all about.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it would work, if everyone follows the rules and works as a team and also not bring any alcohol into the house. It will take time for people getting used to the idea, as they would have been used to bringing alcohol and than now cannot bring any into the house. Most people I know have tried this, and it has worked anyone wanting to drink alcohol goes to a bar or somewhere else to drink which good to see. I have tried this as well, and has worked in my house anyone with alcohol goes somewhere else to drink and don't bring alcohol to my house.
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Sober living homes could probably be the best homes as far as the kids are concerned. They don't have to witness Daddy coming home drunk shouting himself hoarse and turning mummy into a punching bag at the slightest provocation. Domestic violence is usually the norm in households where one partner is a habitual drunk and the kids may grow up traumatised mentally by this whole experience.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Yeah, I believe this is the best strategy to stay sober. Staying away from all temptations even if it's persons or things (like bottles or drugs). If you keep them near, sooner or later you'll fall for them.
  12. mdaudali

mdaudali Member

This is a good idea, but everyone would need to be monitored. You need to make sure that no one is smuggling it in. When something is prohibited, it can make people want to do it more. The decision to make a sooner house needs to be unanimous
  13. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

This is a great idea as long as everyone follows through with staying sober. This is a great way to keep temptations away from the addict. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.
  14. karmaskeeper

I agree out of sight doesn't really mean out of mind. However keeping alcohol out of a home is a great idea. if a person wants to drink they will find a way. I know this from personal experience. Having the forethought to remove any tempting items from visual as well as hands reach is a plus.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Yes, I definitely agree. Just to add to what you already mentioned, though, it would be great if someone in the family or a trusted friend would undertake the responsibility of looking after the person in question. If he's on the road to recovery, then all the more reason for close but subtle supervision. The last thing a recovering person needs is to be distracted.
  16. karmaskeeper

I've been sober for over 4 years now. I live in a very rural area alcohol is a normal part of life here. I see so many people that are straight hooked on booze. It's sad, so proud that I am free of that demon. I just keep to myself I have no desire to ever fall back in to that lonely sad place.
  17. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with you Brem. I think putting away everything alcohol-related will do the trick for an alcoholic to stay sober. No excuses and everything is placed under a controlled environment.

It is like the tendency to overeat. My friend does not stock too much food in their house to help regulate her son's food indulges. She only keeps what they can eat for a day or two. It is good she has the time to do the groceries daily or every other day. It is a sacrifice for everyone in the house but it has to be done. My other friend whose husband just had a heart surgery has to completely overhaul their family's diet, including that of their children. Otherwise, her husband will just continue eating unhealthy stuff because it was the kind of food he craves.

I just wonder when will the alcoholic really helps himself curb his addiction? What if he happens to be around alcohol? How can he resist it when he has not been really exposed to it at home? Thus, it is also good that you can control yourself. You have been sensible enough to put a stop to your alcoholic tendency because you saw it coming. Most people do not have that self-discipline.