An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober Living Homes Near A Beer Garden

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by JonMark, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

I book shows for a lot of weekends at a beer garden near downtown, near where I used to live. Right behind it, next door and across the street are a bunch of recovery homes all around. Everyone here seems to live in perfect harmony because no sober leader lashes out at the beer garden for being what it is.

It's a pretty telling thing about community when you see things like this. No one is pushing anyone else to do anything they don't want to do. There's no peer pressure here at all. So, it's very central to my perspective of what recovery or anything around it should be. More or less, the reality of it.

When I used to live up the street, I would greet groups who were out for walks or whatever and they would also greet me. I will however say that in the back of my mind, that I treat them like the blind man's dog in that I don't do anything more than that. I'm sure they agree that the potential threat of external influence is still there and shouldn't be tempted. So, I keep to myself.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. That's really interesting to hear JonMark. I know that being in a recovery home that is located so closely to a beer garden has the potential to have a lot of problems, but it's good to hear that in that community everyone is able to exist together in harmony.
  3. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

Location of a recovery home is not as important as the program and the residents. The willingness to recover and stay sober and with a solid home base of support are keys to success. It's been said that birds of the same feather flock together and everyone know that temptation is an evil that needs to be avoided.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

If you like the ambience, there is nothing like rejoicing it. It all boils down to individual choices and if you know, what works for you, what doesn't. then you are obviously treading on the safe side of the road. However, just as the other posters have pointed out, strong will power and the urge to recover are most important. Power to you! Best of Luck!
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The real world is full of bars and liquor everywhere you look so in a way, having a bar near the sober living homes might be a positive thing. Residents are obviously aware that it exists but are developing the strategies to deal with it whilst living in a supported environment.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  6. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

When I entered this thread I found a little disturbing to know that a beer garden was actually close to the sober living homes, but the fact is that people living there moved for a reason and you are right missbishi, they do need to have the willpower to face those temptations because they can't live isolated from the rest of the world forever.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This is quite intriguing, as there are no dedicated beer gardens or recovery homes in close proximity to where I live. I'm guessing this could cause a few problems for the community there. But as many have already commented, those who are recovering cannot be shielded away from bars, pubs and liquor stores. As long as no long term problems ensue, perhaps it's a matter that is manageable.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have heard there are places that have communities made of sober living homes.

I guess this help people to feel more in harmony with their environment, as all of them know there was a background story of addictions before getting there.

With this panorama in mind, no censoring, no criticism, nor blaming, what contributes to a prompt addiction recovery.
  9. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I agree that being in a community that has the goal of being clean is a huge boost. We need to surround ourselves with people that share our goals, when we do that we are closer to achieve them.
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I am not even sure what a beer garden is, but I do agree with the posts that bars and liquor stores flourish throughout communities. I would think to be able to remain sober while living in close proximity to liquor is quite the accomplishment. Of course, at the same time, I think it helps to be surrounded by others who have the same goal of sobriety, too.
  11. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

This is especially interesting to me, because the last place I was in was pretty nearly in a wilderness. It was in a large city, but there were no businesses anywhere near it, and it was like being in a desert outpost, which, frankly, freaked me out pretty badly. To me, this sounds like a nicer, more realistic set up. You get a safe environment while you're learning to live sober, but without being bubble-wrapped in an idealistic world where things like beer gardens don't exist. Getting the help while living in a real-life situation with real-life issues sounds much more effective to me.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is really strange. Was the sober home there first, or did they put it near the beer garden? This is really not a good location for a sober living home. But then again if your surrounded by people who are trying to recover it could weaken the influence to drink. I guess it depends on how well progress is being made in the sober living home.
  13. iga

iga Member

Really telling sign how effective these homes are at helping people heal. Being that close to temptation and not only lend the strength needed to turn it down, but to be able to co-exist without any altercations. I hope they are actually operating smoothly and aren't just showing a collected face but have really given up.
  14. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

Thats a very interesting story. I wouldn't have thought that the organisers or people who run the centres would put them so close to temptation. Its like putting a pack of smarties on the bedside table of a dieting obese person. But well done to the guys who can resist the temptation thats rubbed in their face every day, I take my hat off to them.