An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober parties?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have heard of recovering addicts hosting sober parties in which everyone gets together for dinner, movies, and just about anything else that can be done sober. Have you hosted or been to these kind of parties, and were they beneficial?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have been to these kinds of parties before, and yeah, they are so much fun. Just because there is no alcohol involved doesn't mean you can't have some sort of enjoyment anymore.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've been to two such parties. And though there was no liquor, everyone in attendance enjoyed themselves immensely and probably didn't even realize that they'd missed something [booze for those who drink]. One thing those who hosted these parties discovered is that they could have fun without alcohol.

I've never hosted such a party but I know if I wanted to help someone who thinks they can't have fun without alcohol, I'd gift them with one such party to dispel their doubts.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

We don't have sober parties for people in recovery, but every party my wife and I have is a sober party. We both quit drinking more than 7 years ago, but that didn't mean we stopped living. Whenever we have people over--and most of our friends still drink--they are always respectful and choose not to bring any alcohol. I think that's great of them. We've had lots of parties without alcohol and they're no less fun than those we had when we still drank. Being sober is only as dull and boring as you make it!
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Nah, I've never been to any of those before. I usually just stay home. I find it more peaceful to sit there with my thoughts and not worry about anyone else is thinking or saying. If anything, I would think that party video games are equivalent to sober parties. We get high off of the games and competition. Not the booze.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Sober parties would be fine. Many picnics and gatherings don't have alcohol present and they are still fun. It is just one of the things that you should take advantage of when you can. Prove to yourself and others that you don't need alcohol or any other substance for that matter to have a good time. I think learning to enjoy yourself sober, is something that all addicts need to do.
  7. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It is a great idea, just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't have parties and socialize, a lot of people cut themselves off completely because they cannot handle being around all the alcohol, but they still crave social interaction so this is a good way to provide that for them.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am not privy to such parties but i think they are a great idea. When you,re together facing the same challenges could seem like a unique opportunity to encourage each other and look back at the milestones achieved. This is more so vital when you come together to look at ways of keeping your goals alive.
  9. Darkbloom

Darkbloom Member

I have never been to a sobriety party, instead I just partake in normal activities with my friends. Instead of actually taking any substances I usually compensate by playing way too much video games or getting my self obsessed with a book, series or movies, or anything that can get my mind occupied. I don't know enough people that have the same experience, and I doubt I could tell anyone about it, to such a degree that I could have a sobriety party. Even then, I'd just prefer a normal get together with friends.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I think sober parties are a great idea when you are feeling left out because you don't want to hang out with the friends that are going to have alcohol, etc. It is a good way to create a new social circle for your self as well. Not everyone is good at self restraint and it can become lonely if you have to avoid everyone that might have a drink, so a sober party is a good answer.
  11. Rosyrain

At least at a sobriety party you do not have to worry about others drinking or engaging in drug use so you don't have the stress of trying to abstain from doing these things. You can concentrate on nothing but good food, good company, and a good sober time.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't hosted or being part of a sober party before, but it sounds amazing! When my parents stopped drinking all the drinks on family meetings were soda or juice, and it's pretty amazing, because everyone seems to have a great time without alcohol, you're definitely more connected to the good things that are happening around you.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Much the same as you Deanokat, that's just the state of my life now - so I don't refer to them as sober parties - they're simply parties where we don't drink. I think it's wonderful to just be able to enjoy activities or people's company over a great meal without needing to drink. Honestly some of the best, most heartfelt conversations of my life have come from those dinners where no alcohol is involved.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think these are great ideas. Alcohol doesn't have to be involved in togethers to have a good time. Too many people think that you have to drink to have fun. That is not the case. I can honestly say that I have had more fun at parties where I was drinking or where everybody was sober. I prefer get togethers like that now a days.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think the key is to have some kind of activity going on like dinner, a movie or a game. You really don't need alcohol to enjoy these things, plus the fact that there is an activity to concentrate on is a good ice breaker.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It sounds like a normal party. I am in favor of that to divert the minds of the recovering addicts and also they can mingle with fellow addicts and share notes and experiences.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Agree with what you said about the benefit of there being some sort of activity. We even have board game nights - might sound goofy to some people but we have a bunch of fun and there's no drugs/alcohol involved. It's the simple things!
  18. Rosyrain

Sharing good food with one another is an excellent way to remain sober and have a good time. Get a bunch of people together and make some healthy snacks and meals. I really enjoy trying new dishes out and it is fun to mingle with people who have the same goals as you. You can even create some custom drinks that are alcohol free so that everyone has something to look forward to. I like the unknown mystery that happens in my mind before trying out a new food or beverage.
  19. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Sober parties or gatherings are a great idea to help one socialize with people who are on the right track, who will not tempt you to use drugs or alcohol. I have been to sober game nights, where we all get together and play board games, as well as a video game party. You could also do a themed party, such as an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party or Halloween Party, and ask people to dress up and have contests. The party can be as big or as small as you want to make it.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never heard or attended such a party. They might be useful since friends have to share their experiences on how they can keep away from drugs. Many addicts lack support after quitting taking drugs and that can be a good way of encouraging friends so that they will never get back. Hope to attend such a party in the future.
    Rosyrain likes this.