New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober Partying!!!

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by AndyJones, Nov 11, 2015.

1. AndyJones

AndyJones Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

What an awesome article! I am really happy you posted this because it will come in serious handy for my fiance. I've been trying to come up with alternatives for him when it comes to celebrating. We used to celebrate by having a glass of wine, etc. Having a barbecue is something he would love and we don't need to have alcohol involved. :)
    AndyJones likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

This is actually very useful for the New Year's Eve party. I was planning on holding it at my place, but was unsure of whether to get some alcoholic drinks or not. But now I have a plethora of ideas. Thank you!
    AndyJones likes this.
  4. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Great article! The best ways for me to party sober have always involved some sort of physical activity or a game. I take a cue from kids' parties sometimes! Roller skating, designing fun tee shirts, bagel pizzas, milkshake parties… I try to think of the fun parties I hosted or went to as a kid and do similar activities. Especially if there is a physical activity, it helps blow off steam and get people in a good mood.
  5. lexinonomous

Games are always a great way to celebrate! I think looking at your children's parties are a great way to look at things. Kids have so much fun and never need any sort of outside sources. :)
    AndyJones likes this.
  6. AndyJones

AndyJones Member

I'm really glad you all find my post useful! People tend to think that the only way for them to have fun is to get high but this guide shows that it's not the case, and it's really important to share this guide with friends and family to encourage sober partying!!! :)
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Interesting post, indeed. Thank you for sharing. Very relevant and helpful. :)

Well, yes, having fun doesn't always have to be about drugs and alcohol. You can absolutely throw a great party together with your friends without the usage of these substances. :)
    AndyJones likes this.
  8. lexinonomous

It was incredibly useful. I'm really glad you shared this. I struggle with finding fun things to do that don't involve alcohol. It seems like everyone thinks that celebrations call for drinking. Sober partying just sounds more appealing to me anyways. :)
    AndyJones likes this.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thanks for sharing! It's always good to know that you can have fun in a party that doesn't involve alcohol, we need to start to exclude alcohol/drugs of social events.
    AndyJones likes this.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

You can actually have a lot of fun without the use of alcohol or drugs. It's our decadent lifestyle, culture and media that has created this myth that we can only have fun if we become intoxicated. Just go out with a bunch of good friends, be spontaneous, be relaxed and you're bound to have a good time. There is no magic formula for having a good time.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

What an awesome website! College was the time that I got caught up in drinking and ended up addicted - and I feel like if I had just been more aware of what options were out there to socialize without involving alcohol I would have been a lot better off, and making more sound choices. Thanks for sharing the link!
  12. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Definitely a great article, thank you for sharing! It is really important to know that alcohol should enhance a party, not the centerpiece. Personally, I feel like the driver of the party is the food and conversation, and you can't have that when you're drunk. There is nothing wrong with not having booze at a party, and if you don't want to, you shouldn't be pressured to do so.
  13. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This was quite an interesting read. If only young people today would realize that having fun doesn't have to be about driving and using drugs. Good music and good food with the right people can get a party in motion just the same.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, our culture tends to glorify drinking and drugging and makes people think they can't have a good time without one or the other. Plenty of people don't use either and have a great time, and it is one of the things that you need to make sure that you have the information you need when it comes to partying. Be prepared with alternatives when going to a party.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So right that there are ways to party without drinking alcohol and drugs. In here the usual is having a videoke or sing along. There could be fun games too and also swimming activities. :)
  16. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Even though I am past my college years, I have found this article very interesting. Just try to get as creative as possible, without including alcohol everywhere.
    Our society and media, along with many companies that sell beverages, promotes alcohol and usually links it parting. Like, it is not even possible nowadays to even start thinking about some parting, without having the notion of alcohol already closely connected to your mind.
    But, here we see some rebellion so to say. And I am more than happy to see people are getting away from alcohol and are having loads of fun in many other various way, without getting drunk in the process. :D
  17. I think the idea of sober partying is really cool and more people should read about this!
  18. hwarren

hwarren Member

Great article with some great ideas. Since having a baby I tend to steer away from alcohol so have come up with some great ideas instead. When my partner and I and some friends would have a 'card' game night we would always make some exotic non-alcoholic drinks. Games are always a great way, for adults and children there are many to choose from.

We always try to do things when we host a party or gathering, make sure everyones hands are busy :)
  19. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Yesterday I was celebrating my birthday, and I decided since it is my birthday, I can make decision what it is going to be like. So, I purchased only juices, not anything alcoholic. And, once my friends started arriving, all I offered them were various juices. Some asked for wine, some for beer, and some for rakija, but all I had was juice.
    In the end, they just ended up drinking juice :D, and despite that, we did have a great time! :)
    One more proof that it is possible to have fun without any alcohol. :)
    hwarren likes this.
  20. hwarren

hwarren Member

Oh wow that's funny but a good story and goes to show. It actually annoys me now when people go out simply to get drunk or when people say 'I really need a drink'. I would probably say 'Really need a bowl of ice cream and 5 kilos of chocolate' after the day I've had!!
    mayasupernova likes this.