An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober Partying!!!

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by AndyJones, Nov 11, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am going to share this on my Facebook page. I think it is very important to get this out especially this time of year when there are so many Christmas parties going on. People need to realize that you can have fun without alcohol. People associate alcohol with fun and even though it may be for some people for others it can be a bad experience. These days I prefer sober parties. I find them so much more enjoyable and you aren't on edge all the time waiting for something bad to happen.
  2. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Hahaha exactly what I would ask for! Like that one or many drinks would help you in some other way, rather than just get you messed up in a worse way. I remember I was drunk for like 3x in my life only, and the only thing that alcohol did for me was make me toooo emotional; I would always end up crying; It would make me sleepy, so I would fall asleep in a club; or just messed with my vision, so I would fall over. Not a great sight anyways..especially for a lady. That is why I do not drink any more. :)
  3. hwarren

hwarren Member

I agree @mayasupernova - the amount of times I've made myself physically sick and embarrassed myself in public because of drink is terrible. I watch the Geordie Shore/Jersey Shore repeats and feel sorry for them that they are making such a show of themselves. I actually find now I have more fun without the drink because I can remember what I'm doing :)
    mayasupernova likes this.
  4. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz Member

Barbecuing is the best way to enjoy a get together. I have so many lovely memories of family and friends getting together around a barbecue grill and sharing happiness together. I would not recommend alcohol in memorable events of life because you might end up with no soothing memories just because you were too wasted to remember anything.
  5. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

That article is exactly what a lot of people need. Pretty eye opening for me too.
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This is brilliant! I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't thought of it before, but I' glad they have now. I just wish something like this had been around when I went to university all those years ago. Might have saved me a lot of trouble in the long run.....
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

hang out with your closest friends, that would be my advice. chillout and you will have a good time and keep it open minded when going to parties, wish the best.
  8. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

There are always ways to emulate alcohol with non alcoholic drinks. Back then in college we used to do root beer chug or root beer pong. It was still silly now that I have grown up to think about what we did back then but we realized that we could manage to do "stupid parties" while being sober. I guess a lot of people especially young teenager want to push the boundary of fun so that is why it is hard for them to stay sober and some of them even go straight towards worse drugs.
    djdrug likes this.
  9. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

It does feel dumb to look back. The fun was always in the company of friends and in the silly drinking games we played. All of them could be played without getting drunk.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

When I was drinking too much during the weekend party, I had a friend who did not drink. We both enjoyed party. A recently introduced friend would always insist him to drink but he never took glass. However he was a vicarious eater. He would eat everything we collectively ordered.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Parties can be great fun without alcohol. There are plenty of other, better things to do. Just look at kids! They have great fun at parties and they don't drink alcohol, lol. The person hosting the party should be responsible for that. If more people do it, non-alcoholic parties will eventually become the norm. There are other ways for people to enjoy time with friends. Just have to keep yourselves busy.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Oh wow cool link!
    I am going to share this with the young people in my church.
    One of them is a Resident Adviser at a local university, she is always looking for things like this to promote well-being on campus.
    Thanks!
    But yes I have much more fun now being sober at parties with good people.