An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sober plans for New Years?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

How do you plan to ring in the new year this year? Do you have any long term ideas or plans that you wish to achieve in the coming year? I do not like to say resolutions because those are often broken, but how do you plan to start the new year off right?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I will most likely play computer games with my best friend. It seems like everyone else got their plant done already and I don't have with whom to hang out on The New Year's Eve. But there is still time, and who knows, maybe I will not spend the very first moments of 2016 in front of my computer.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

We are just staying home! Might get together with another family we know who has a little one close in age to ours. Maybe watch some movies or play board games and just enjoy each other's company! I don't see the point in big crazy New Years anyway - waking up with a nasty hangover is the old me, and not the way I want to start my year off!
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I plan to go out with my friends and stay within my means. I won't touch alcohol even if people around me drink it, but I'm still gonna have a lot of fun! :D It's gonna be a blast!
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I will be attending dinner at my mom's home, and there is no chance to get drunk because she doesn't drink, and there is only another guest invited to the celebration; my sister, who has never have any addiction problem.

I was taught that Christmas and New Year days are for celebrating with family, not with friends, who are really the "danger" throughout these seasonal days.
  6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I play to stay at home and celebrate the New Years with my family members. And probably play some games and read fiction while I'm at it.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would just be staying at home with my family. We would just have dinner together, and play some fun music. I don't have any New Year's resolution, but I have already made a list of things I would want to do/achieve in 2016. Hopefully, I would be able to accomplish each one of them.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Oooh, you just reminded me that I need to work out some resolutions/goal for the new year. I know that I could make goals any time, but I do love the chance that new years brings for measuring goals within a calendar year!
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I will spend New Year's Eve uptown watching the fireworks with my granddaughter. They have a Family evening going on with games, crafts, bands, etc. It is an alcohol free event. The 2016 I hope to finally get my life back on track with or without my husband. I plan to start taking care of me and my health. I am joining the gym and getting back to a healthy place in my life. I am thinking I am going to be a little selfish this year and put me first, which I never ever do.
  10. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Gonna focus on making it low-key and quiet, have dinner with my SO and then maybe some champagne and watch some fireworks.
    As for 2016, I am actually really excited. I have this intuition that it will be a good year.
  11. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Great topic. This year I want to create a great source of passive income, as well as a nice side-business; I want to complete one play and one screenplay, and obtain a driver's license (lost my original almost a decade ago...I live in New York City so owning a car isn't necessary).
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have a feeling that 2016 is going to be a great year as well. I have wasted so much focus and energy the last couple of years dealing with personal struggles that I had no control over. This year I am going to focus on me and what I want. Honestly I have not even needed to wait until 2016 to do it, I started to just wash it all away last month.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sober is the best new years. Best to keep your wits about you when so many are plastered as far as I see it. Especially if you are going to be driving at all. I was just thinking today about what to do for new years. Not sure yet. Big plans for the new year. I feel like I've just gotten a new beginning or born again. Starting a new level of awareness. I did a huge cleanse last spring and it changed my whole perspective. Made me feel like a different person.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I will just stay home and watch tv I guess. I don't know how to cook, so I guess I'm just gonna buy food for myself to feast on during New Year.
  15. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz Member

I plan to go to the local soup kitchen and serve food on the new years eve. I hope that If I do something good at the start of the new year it will help me stay in the right spirit throughout the year. This will be a big improvement considering I was guzzling down vodka all night on the last new year's eve.
  16. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I haven't made concrete plans yet for this New Year's Eve. In the past, I've enjoyed starting out the evening with an AA meeting and having dinner with my fellow sober friends afterwards. I've also volunteered to babysit for friends with kids so they could enjoy New Year's and I could have a sober evening of fun too. One year I visited with friends and had a potluck dinner to ring in the New Year. I've also had a Netflix Night on New Year's Eve. May I suggest the ESPN 30 for 30 episode featuring Chris Herren? I watched it a few years ago on New Year's Eve and it had a profound effect on me because Mr. Herren is candid about his sobriety struggles while in the NBA. Have a fun and Happy New Year, whatever you end up doing!
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't have any long term sober plans for next year. I'm sure such plans can motivate some people to work harder to achieve what they planned [which is good].

Long term plans won't work for me that why I plan to stay sober a day at a time till the year is over. It won't be easy I must admit but it's these little victories that will give me the impetus to keep fighting:)
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

I want to expand my business. I got a loan and am planning to add more stock in my shop. I know that will keep me busy throughout the year.