An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sobriety on Instagram

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Sep 17, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

MyDigitalpoint, deanokat and Rainman like this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It is good to know that these apps are not only for entertainment purposes and not only used to flaunt extravagant lifestyle of some people, but it is also a good source of inspiration and motivation. :)

Thank you for sharing these accounts to us here. Very relevant and helpful.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That's a neat idea, but sadly I don't use Instagram at all. I watch videos on Youtube for inspiration daily, there are a couple of inspirational youtubers out there I really enjoy (DoseOfFousey, RomanAtwoodVlogs) watching. My Facebook is also filled with inspirational and motivational quotes from various pages.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I like the third account/link best. Sobriety quotes can be great at motivating a recovering addict to keep fighting and in the end overcome their addiction.

Thanks for sharing the links. I'll bookmark the third so I can share it with others who might be fighting addictions. I know they'll find it helpful.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Wow, instagram for sobriety...who knew? I think that it is really super when technology can benefit us in our lives. it is one of the many ways that you can take advantage of technology and is the things that you are looking forward to and can help, even instagram can help people maintain sobriety.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thank you so much for sharing those accounts, I will definitely be following them soon.
    It's really good to know that in the middle of all those people posting pictures of themselves drinking or smoking or even consuming drugs, there's actually someone who worries about people's health and motivation in general.
    Keep it up! :)
  7. kassie1234

I know that a lot of friends I have share inspirational stuff on Facebook too, or send me links to great YouTube videos as well.

It makes me happy that social media can also be a positive thing - it gets a bad rap a lot of the time as something negative, but there's certainly positives to be found out there too!
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Thanks for sharing those links to Instagram accounts. I think it's great how social media is bringing us all together. Even if a recovering addict doesn't know a recovering addict, they don't have to feel so alone. It seems like a lot of platforms have at least a couple for sobriety support. Hopefully these types of groups will help counter the party culture.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Nice share, the photos that they post are very inspiring indeed. I'm sure a lot of recovering addicts will find it useful and inspire them in their recovery.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Instagram and other forms of social media can be full of stories, quotes, posts and videos that can inspire you.

In one way or just shows that addiction is widespread and there's millions of people all over the world that are going through, and have been through what a lot of other people have.

To put these posts on social media shows that they are willing to try and help others in the same situation as what they have been, and shows that people aren't on their own when trying to cope.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's good to know that there's another use for Instagram besides attention seeking! Maybe one day, I'll give it a try.
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Those are indeed very motivational and inspirational captions. Those captions are indeed more than a thousand words and to a keen eye, they relay very personal messages. Instagram is indeed a unique forum is one can relate it to the challenges we face in our daily lives.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I love using Instagram for uplifting pictures as well. There's a lot of inspiration, but you can also find other people to connect with and help each other out as well. That's the best part. It seems total strangers can be nicer than people you've known for a long time when it comes to encouragement. You can open it up everyday and read loving words, that's great.
  14. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Wow! That's awesome. Social media has been cast in a negative light recently and this makes it a little better. I think it could be a powerful tool.
    Thanks for sharing.
  15. kassie1234

That's right! That connectivity and being able to reach out to others who are in the same boat for support is a big benefit of it. It just warms my heart when that's the case. And yes - it's amazing how total strangers really can brighten your day and inspire you!
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Definitely! And not only from social media, but we can get something good out of everything that is at our disposal nowadays. Even addictions play a part in your personality. While it was kind of crappy to get wasted everyday and smoke weed, the recovery process made you a much stronger person and increased your self-confidence.
  17. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

I agree with @bsthebenster It is really amazing how Instagram and other social media accounts can help those in recovery not feel so alone. The community of support can help lift our spirits and remind us that our suffering is not unheard.

Sometimes just hearing "i know how you feel," can really help us cope. Though no one else can ever fully understand our personal struggles, it is important that we can identify with each other and support each other as best we can.

Thank you OP for the inspiring links. I never thought to use Instagram this way before.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Really love your idea @kassie1234 because Instagram, same as Pinterest and other social networking/photo sharing are popular but yet full of useless things most of the times.

By encouraging sobriety through beautiful images, you are contributing greatly to help people struggling with addiction problems that might not necessarily be looking for this into those sites, but may find them anyway while browsing the site, what most of the times can be seen as divine inspiration.

Congrats for encouraging sobriety :)
  19. cowboyman

cowboyman Member

I totally agree with you. Instagram is a very powerful platform where people can share their thoughts and inspiration and their view of the world. I think every addict should have their accounts on Instagram because there are so many communities that bring us together and help us cope with drugs and all other abuses that come across our society. Because in this part of our lives we should talk about our problems and try to solve them and to stop using drugs. I have an account on Instagram and it is not very popular but it is for all the people that are addicted. I try to help everyone. I am thinking of how to make my account more popular and to buy Instagram video views so that more and more people will see my account.
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. DrMay1987

DrMay1987 Member

I am subscribed on all the accounts that you mentioned so has anyone some more recommendations?