An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sobriety Reflections, What is Yours?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by MyDigitalpoint, Jul 1, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

When we make the decision to get clean and gain back sobriety, we found ourselves struggling with the meaning of sobriety, or at least happened to me and to some close friends, confused because they quit an addiction but seemed to have picked another due to drug replacement treatment, or because one has other addictive patterns that are not necessarily associated to any substance, but to an activity, an item or else.

However, trying to understand a bit more what sobriety means to each of us, I came across with this thought that seems to reflect with accuracy what sobriety is:

I couldn't agree more but, what are your thoughts?

Do you have any sobriety reflection that you want to share with us?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Sobriety is not the destination, but it is the journey. I agree, sobriety is a lifelong process. Everyday, we are going to deal with temptations and cravings. That is why we should always have self-control so as not to fall prey to any kind of addiction.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Beautifully simple but it's about the perfect way that it could have been summed up, in my experience anyway!

I feel like it's a lifelong thing. And that's not a bad thing - the best things in life often take work, and I feel like sobriety is no different. I have to make conscious steps not to get sucked back in - ensuring that I focus on my health, making sure I am aware of things that set me off into that mindset of wanting to drink - and that's okay too...I feel like knowledge is power, and knowing what my weaknesses are helps me to battle them!
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yes, more than a destination, recovery is the departing point for a lifetime journey is full of pebbles, perks, and challenges, and same we make a vacation trip enjoyable or not, our recovery journey can be as rewarding as we want it be, but this is may only happens when we know that are our weaknesses and risk that could make us relapse.

I try to stay aware of those risks along the way, which is not that difficult because time has taught me how to avoid the dangers leading to relapse or catch a different addiction.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really couldn't agree more with you. Having the right mindset and self-discipline would definitely help you overcome any kind of temptation.