An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sobriety sans religion

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by lilfaerie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. lilfaerie

lilfaerie Member

I know that a lot of sobriety programs focus on a relationship with a higher power, but I was wondering if anyone did it without religion? I am trying to avoid falling back into an addiction with pain killers, and could really use some advice.
  2. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I never used religion to help me find sobriety, but my grandmother did. She started going to church and got off the bottle. She devoted all of her free time to the church and that kept her busy and it was a source of support for her. She also said she was thankful to her faith for saving her life.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I think religion is just one of the ways to control yourself, but it is also one of the strongest ways. If you make your mind believe on a superior force, and you start to fear it, then you can't take more drugs / alcohol. Of course it doesn't happen all of a sudden, but the process is easier.
    The trick when dealing with your addictions is to keep your mind busy. No matter what you do, if you keep your mind busy, you wouldn't have the time to think about your addiction. Play games online, go outside, watch some sports. There are a lot of ways to achieve this if you have firm determination. Good Luck.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not religious. But I know a lot of people that have found sobriety through their faith. As long as it hasn't hurt anyone then it's alright with me. I might question religion, but it has helped other find peace.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think one preacher proved that religion itself won't get you "across the strait." He was a sex addict. Every week as he stood at the pulpit preaching water to his "flock," he was in cover of darkness drinking wine so to say. For him praying for deliverance didn't work. So he tried something else . . .

But to answer OPs question, can you fight an addiction without have to draw strength from a Higher Power? Yes you can. Find out what would trigger you and avoid it [whatever it is]. That, and an iron will "to use painkillers no more" will help you overcome the addiction.
  6. AleFirmani

AleFirmani Member

One sponsor I had when I tried the NA way put it very simply. She asked me "Do you think you are the biggest and most powerful thing in the universe?" To which I of course replied, "No". She said, "Good, that means that you believe in something greater than yourself and that belief is all you need to understand that there are things in this world we do not understand and cannot control, like your addiction but as long as their is something out there more powerful than your addiction, you can have hope". So, no I do not believe in an all seeing all powerful grand puppet master but I do believe in love and emotion and those are not a tangible things so there must be something greater than myself and my addiction that can help me to get better. I call it love generally. I believe in the power of human connection and that is all. I have just over two years clean.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

You don't have to be a super freaky religious to help you focus on sobriety. You just have to form some sort of personal relationship with God, be spiritual, not religious.
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You don't need to be pious in order to overcome an addiction. Having religious tendencies isn't indicative of unconditional success. Believing in a deity isn't a bad thing, not the least bit, but it's also not crucial or mandatory in your battle against drugs. Following strict regimes and pushing yourself to the limit could be just as effective. You just need to be that type of person.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I wouldn't say that organized religion was a part of my journey, but I guess having faith overall was. And I would say that entire concept of having faith is a big part of why some people find religion a critical part of their recovery journey. I think whatever works for people is great -- if that's religion then go for it. Just like our addictions aren't all the same, neither will all of our journeys through recovery.