An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sobriety...Starting Off

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Faygo1224, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I have been through a lot with my addiction of alcohol but have also found some very helpful ways in the past to help curtail my cravings and mood.

Initially when I'd stop drinking, I would work out a lot and eat healthy. A lot of times we focus on everything else besides what we nourish our body with. Food and what we consume is very important and can have a good or negative impact on your sobriety.

Fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh meats and unprocessed other foods , I have found to be very fulfilling and helpful through the process. Berries in particular, because of the antioxidants contained within them helped cleanse my system from the toxic waste I had been putting in my body for years from drugs. Other food that I also found to be a great choice and helpful were: oranges, sun flower seeds (to keep from wanting to smoke or drink, kept me busy), celery, peanut butter, etc.

What foods have you all found to be helpful?
    bhu and kassie1234 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Much the same as you - I found that eating healthy and exercising made me feel like I was doing something good for my body. Plus, exercise in particular kept me busy and not in a position where I would be able to drink, and that was important for me too.

I eat pretty clean these days - lean meat, fish (lots of salmon!!) and plenty of veggies, fruits and so forth. I try and stick to the less processed grains (brown rice, quinoa) and I drink lots of water. I still probably consume too much coffee, but that's proving kind of difficult to kick!

I definitely think there's a correlation between what we eat and how much we move and how we feel mentally - I certajnly notice the difference in my own mood when I eat well and workout.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Yes, I've found eating healthy food to really help out a lot with addiction.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

This might sound overly simple, but I found that drinking a lot of water really helped me. And I drink a lot of smoothies made with berries and fruits.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I really don't know the answer to this one as it was such a long time ago, but I eat and drink much the same as anyone else. We all have our preferences and things that work for us. I don't think that the eating habit that replaces drinking will always be a healthy one, but I don't imagine that would be important in the beginning. Once one is well into sobriety and feeling more stable, you can look at a healthier diet.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

When I was just starting out with my recovery, it's definitely hard to eat healthy and at the same time quit my addiction. The first few weeks, I was eating junk foods to combat the cravings. That was also the time that I craved sodas more than ever. But then I realised how bad my actions were, it isn't helping my recovery at all. For a time, yes, but it's doing more damage to my body just like my addiction.

Anyway, I then decided to change my lifestyle and eating habits. I tried walking daily, even for just an hour a day. I also did some yoga and HIIT when I have the time. When it came to my eating habits, I didn't purchase junk foods anymore. I tried buying more of the healthy stuff like fruits and vegetables. I especially love mangoes when they're in season. Papayas taste great too and they're available all year round.

I also drank more water to stay hydrated. Sometimes, we'd create fruit juices from coconut and watermelons.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm not an addict, so I wouldn't really know what kinds of foods that can help with addiction, but if you notice a change in your body once you started taking it then I guess it has some positive effects, so you should keep taking it.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  8. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I totally agree with this! When you program your body with healthy food and exercise, you can't help but fill some of those holes that addiction can never touch. Plus you're cleansing your system and strengthening and energizing yourself, as well. I'm no longer a meat eater, having made it fully into vegetarianism and working on vegan now as a total way of life. I enjoy hiking, drinking spring water and doing breathwork, yoga and that thing everybody hates - ab crunches. Wishing everyone here at the forum a happy, healthy day! :)
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It's great to hear that you are changing your lifestyle for a healthier one, keep it up!
    I'm not the healthiest person ever and I also need to change that, but at this time of the year where I live it gets so hot, that I obviously need to drink more water but the water itself is not really appealing for me because I get bored really easily, so for two months now I've consumed a lot of infused waters, and I love them already! You can do a lot of varieties of them and all of them taste great, you can find the receipts online, maybe you should give it a try!