An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sobriety Tips!!!!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by True concern, Jan 13, 2020.

1. True concern

True concern Moderator

I need some,I need them all
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

We talked about this in group yesterday. Every morning when you get up tell yourself and God because I believe you are religious, so do it as a prayer. I will not use today. Just for today I will not get high. Start every day this way.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

“Just For Today”, “One Day At A time” concepts in 12 Step programs i.e. Al-Anon, AA, NA, ACoA made choice possible for me and then choice became unnecessary for self-destructive behavior, including non-substance addiction. When I was still making a choice, I was abstinent, not sober.
    Neen and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

The intellect you use at time's my friend is unremarkable and impossible to understand....yet I feel your intentions are pure,genuine,sincere....so thank you
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

6. True concern

True concern Moderator

I"I wear my garbage"

Powerful I can relate
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  7. Bullwinkle

8. Bullwinkle

“third for freedom” the book Dr. David A. Stewart wrote follows my intellect, especially with this that he wrote. “Few people realize that sobriety is an action of insights and skills far beyond mere abstinence. Sobriety is a creative discipline in the art of freedom of growth and of love. To be yourself is to become yourself.”

BTW, I attended a very fine university, whatsamatta u :)
    True concern and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  9. DoxyMom

This group is at my methadone clinic. It is what has helped a few addicts there. He asked for any suggestions. I don't attend NA or any of those because I'm on methadone. @Bullwinkle I don't appreciate you knocking my suggestion. Sometimes you have to fake it till you make it!
  10. Bullwinkle

I’ve been interacting with junkies since 1965, many are also addicted to nicotine and alcohol, some are gambling addicts, as well. I share in first person singular and unfortunately many don’t understand my approach. Based on my experience with my addiction, this approach I know for sure is the most effective way to support addicts in achieving sobriety. What validates my approach is in the AA text, Chapter 7, WORKING WITH OTHERS. Therefore, I didn’t tell you, about you, or what to do or experience, I posted my experience ONLY.

To reiterate, I’ll use other wording today 01/15/2020. Support groups (AA, NA, Al-Anon, ACoA,) made me aware that choosing not to continue self-destructive behavior was possible “one day at a time (just for now)” and it worked for alcohol. However, what I also learned, was that a continuum of one day at a time was just abstinence and not sobriety, especially in my case, because I was still addicted to nicotine, which is the #1 substance killer, alcohol is #2. Just like junkies, that are Jonesing (craving), because they’re psychologically addicted, I still craved alcohol and nicotine. Therefore, if I’m still making a choice not to drink or use “one day at a time”, I’m still psychologically addicted. However, eventually choice became unnecessary re: alcohol, because my craving/desire/obsession to drink alcohol ended almost 40 years ago and nicotine years latter. I was still smoking and although it wasn’t popular at AA meetings to tell my truth, i.e. even though I don’t have the desire to drink, I wasn’t sober, because I was still addicted to a self-destructive behavior, smoking.

“Fake it, until you make it”, is an Alcoholics Anonymous Fellowship saying that I heard 55 years ago. I prefer “act as if”, because the word FAKE neuro linguistically doesn’t work for me emotionally, due to me being in denial, faking my life, which contributed to my mental illness that was the cause of my addiction(s).
  11. DoxyMom

Well I believe in using all the tools available to you. Find what works for you and use that. If it works and keeps you clean and sober, hooray for you. I'm happy you found yours and it works. What is good for one is not always good for another but something else may be. If it is keeping an addict alive, all the better. I'm doing what works for me and learning about what works for others.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  12. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Also worth noting added Sugars in food.
    I probably have had the hardest time quitting sugar more than anything else. It fires off your brain like cocain to a degree.

I have never felt better since I started eating right have almost quit nicotine I'm on last step before I jump off. I cut out all the soda pops and added sugars. Its crazy how much depression and anxiety it was causing. My moods were so up and down on the turn of a dime.

Now even if my house burnt down I probably wouldn't get anxiety or depressed over it lol
    True concern likes this.
  13. True concern

True concern Moderator

The only thing in my life I have never been addicted to "Sugar"it never mattered even as a kid,candy...honestly I couldn't careless, soda...i prefer sugar free gatorade..lol Finally one thing I'm not addicted to,fantastic
  14. Bullwinkle

Eric Clapton claims his first addiction was sugar.

I'm sure you know that the #1 reason for early death is poor diet. This is promoted by most of the fast food industry via food science labs that create food that appeals to the human senses of smell and taste affecting addictive brain wiring .
  15. Bullwinkle

This is my experience. Gatorade is a processed food, it’s not natural. One of the ingredients Sucralose is made from chemically altered sugar. Gatorade is a sales pitch for electrolytes, when coconut water works as well, or it’s simply make your own natural drink for electrolytes.

Natural Raw Cane Sugar is a liquid (cane juice), dried it’s still organic. Sugar from organic fruits and vegetables have antioxidants that slows down inflammation which causes aging. Different types of processed sugar is a diet problem. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a killer, it contributes to the USA being one of the most obese countries in the world and the most obese in North America.

Along with many Americans that have become dependent on processed food for their diet, a major reason addicts have a hard time getting sober or at least abstinent, is poor diet.
  16. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

So what did you choose to do when choice no longer worked-actually I believe you said it enabled...
    You make derogatory comments on everything that is not either something philosophical sounding (many times I find the same thing word for word on Wikipedia) or something you personally believe.
    Honestly I'm surprised people still like your posts. Its because they are more kindhearted.
    For all of your learning you missed one thing. Your not always right. I know you don't claim to be so don't bother with that. I'm just sticking up for @DoxyMom here. She gave good advice. @True concern is correct as well sometimes in order to sound so learned you make no sense.
    I don't dislike you but its like the Beatles songs-many of them, Strawberry Fields Forever? Really? Its about an acid trip yet people from that era I've heard say it speaks more than modern music. This makes no sense...
    I can show you a post where you advocate the heck out of the 12 step plan. Then the next day you don't like all of its issues.
    Why did you not post her one helpful thing, or give her one word of encouragrment?
    Just something supportive! You even went as far as to speak ill of his lack of sugar addiction. Where is your heart man?
    True concern and DoxyMom like this.
  17. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

I used to be an alcoholic which meant I was an addict-alcohol is a drug.
    I don't understand the reason people differentiate say...pill or powder addicts, from an alcohol addict as the "junkie". Alcohol, oxy, meth, heroin...whatever, if your in it to get wasted and need it, then according to the text we are all - if still addicted, junkies. There is no difference from an alcoholic thays an alcohol junkie than I was a heroin/coke junkie.
    True concern likes this.
  18. brianbreaz

brianbreaz Member

I’d say the most important thing to me was surrounding myself with supportive people and removing the people that wanted to see me fail.
    True concern likes this.
  19. True concern

True concern Moderator

Reflection is a wonderful thing...it gives you insight in life and who's fake!