An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social Media Addictions

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Rosyrain, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

With social media being so ingrained in our lives these days, is it possible to be addicted to sites like Facebook? Can you go a day without checking your account? What are some of the ways that social media has had a negative impact on your life?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, I knew some who can be coined as addicted to Facebook already. Those who almost checking their accounts several times a day to see if someone liked the photos they have uploaded and changing their profile photo more than once a day. Someone who shares everything on their feed even one liner thought they had.
    I think one negative impact is that you cannot focus on other important things in life.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I would have said that was ridiculous if you asked me 10 years ago. But now I realize I would have been wrong. All you have to do is take a look around you, where ever you are. It's ridiculous. I stopped facebook all together because I didnt like the control it had over my life.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have spent nearly half a day on Facebook just chatting to people I know, and the time can pass really soon and also you can miss out on normal conversations in real life due to this. I think it is something which can, cause people to avoid real life sometimes and also need to have control as well and how you spend the time as well on the site. I reckon for me, I had to cut down my time that I spent on the site as I had other things that I had to and were more important so need to balance your time on social media and your day to day life.
  5. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

You can take a look at the young generation. Among the youngsters with access to internet, I can bet over 95% are addicted to Facebook. Whether it be to post something about one's life, or to troll on other's facebook pages, or to play farmville or social wars, people do log in to Facebook everyday. And, this trend has also moved on to the older generation who have found a way to search their old friends, and to boast of their past achievements or talk of philosophy. So, there's barely a Facebook user who lets a day go without using Facebook.

For me, I think the most adverse effects were that I used to compare myself with others, I used to get jealous of other's achievements, and I used to spend too much time on Face book.
  6. Rosyrain

I do not use my Facebook account anymore because it has gotten to the point that it is ridiculous. People are always on their accounts and post their whole lives for people to see. I refuse to be one of those people.
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

In moderation, social media can have benefits. But when it begins to become like an addiction, then it becomes a problem. It can't be used to the exclusion of other important aspects of life. People need to socialize, to eat together, to watch nature together, to share quality time discussing their ambitions, hopes and dreams. If social media interferes with these things, then it must be limited, or corruption will follow.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  8. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Yes the social media does corrupt people but they should be smart enough not to make that happen. Some people are influenced by the media and while others are influnced by them. The world lacks of morality these days.
  9. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

You can only be corrupted if you allow it. You can turn off the tv, phone, radio etc. It is much easier to blame someone or something else, than it is to take responsibility and discipline yourself.
  10. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I've never personally believed in this "addiction" so to speak. Same thing with video game addiction. People just need to have a little willpower and learn when to turn stuff off. When you have things interfering with important aspects of your life, it's time to turn it off. When you find yourself sitting at a computer screen or game screen, starting to get mad, it's time to turn it off.
  11. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I used to be on Facebook all the time, I would check it everyday and when I was supposed to be online completing assignments for school or studying I would be on checking everyone's updates. I realized how ridiculous this was and now I cant be bothered to log on and check. Now and then I will go on to see what's new with everyone and post an update but its so rare that I might as well not even have an account anymore.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's so easy to let Facebook take over your life. Ultimately though, it causes more harm than good and whilst it can be a valuable way of keeping in touch with friends and acquaintances, there seem to be so many arguments and misunderstandings based on what people have posted there that it deters me from logging in any more than a couple of tmes per week.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I came into this thread to say something similar. Aside from a period where I used Facebook to chat all night with a guy I liked a few years ago, I wasn’t really one to spend an excessive amount of time on there. But when I would log on, I would inevitably feel worse about myself, because I was comparing my life with others. Still happens sometimes, even though I only go on a couple of times a month. I would deactivate my account altogether, but it’s my only way of getting in touch with certain friends of mine.
  14. Sudarsan

I agree. When you get addicted to social media, you get pulled in a virtual world where you chat with friends you hardly meet on the road, you comment on people's posts who you'd never bother to talk to if you see them in a shopping mall, and you like other's photos who you'd seriously never even look at on the streets. When you're addicted to Facebook, you just do these stupid things, and then you go on doing it all night long. And you're proud of it! Because everyone thinks you're a social media icon! So funny!
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yea I sometimes have a problem with this. I can go a day without checking in my Facebook, but not my instagram or eve twitter at times. Its like an on and off thing.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

Never be addicted to social media. Most people use social media just for chatting and making new friends. Others use the social media to make money. If you can spend sometime and make money through your campaigns on the social media then that is okay. If you spend your time looking for friends and just liking other people's ideas, then you need to change. You will find out that you have wasted your time and money thereby gaining nothing.
  17. rikka

rikka Member

There were incidences in my life where I almost got addicted to Facebook. The first instance was during a break off from work, where I really, really, really need to check the notifications. So, I had to turn on my laptop five times a day and stay there for hours. The second one was also the same thing, but checking my account everyday.

I got so worried that I might get addicted to Facebook, and even got a bit down because everything I see on FB were just the shallow stuff and some bad news from news sites. What I did to stay away from FB was to buy a book and some magazines to occupy my time away from the net. Also, I engage in making crafts from clay so I will be preoccupied with them instead of Facebook.

Negative impact that I got from FB were getting annoyed with some netizens, wasting time and energy resources, and lacking sleep.

Facebook is just my worry because I don't care too much for Twitter or Instagram even if I have them both.
  18. Rosyrain

I have never opened up a Twitter or Instagram account because I did not see the need to do so. When social media first came out it was nice because it was a new way to connect with people I have not heard from or seen in years, but now I just have no interest in it. People use it as a sounding post to complain about everything.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  19. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I have Twitter and an Instagram account, but I hardly post anything on them. I just look at other peoples' pages. If I do post something it is usually something that is not that big.
  20. Sudarsan

Not only for complaining, people mostly use it to show off! And showing off on social media has been such a fashion; everyone's competing to post a better status or a cooler picture. Yeah, it was really nice in the beginning. It was cool to see celebrities airing their voices via twitter, but now the same celebrities have started exaggerating current issues for cheap publicity. It's all a part of the virtual world. Once you completely log off, its all gone. It's not a part of the real world. And, that's why I've heavily sliced off my time on social media.