An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social Media Addictions

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Rosyrain, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I love social media. Very much enjoy meeting new people. Moderation and timing is everything. FB I have but it is not my favorite. I prefer youtube and G+. I like the white background and g+ photographs are beautiful. I think it blows FB out of the water. FB seems confining to me, I mean you can certainly network on it. G+ has options to reach people you don't know all over the world when you post. This is much more interesting to me than reading a feed of people I know from high school, work, or whatever. People getting in trouble at work for posts is just dumb and complete invasion of privacy. But that's the way FB works. Jealous small town bologna.
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

Lately you can like groups or campaigns on Facebook for money. You can promote products or sell your own to your friends. You can search for jobs through social media instead of just chatting.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

when I was on myspace, I was on there every free moment I had. I enjoyed blogging, making slide shows, changing my pages design, and all those things. Facebook was fun at first, but got boring. I used it as an excuse to break the habit. I'm so glad I did, too!
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well social media can be helpful. If you use Facebook or Twitter for advertising and networking, it could only enhance your life. Using social media for only keeping up with what everybody is doing can make you super addicted. If your networking and looking for business opportunities or services you get a lot out of it. I've said many times, it's all about how you use it.
    LilAnn likes this.
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

A lot of people have used social media to their advantage. I, however, have not. I have no idea how to go about it. So, I stick with what I know, lol.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Social media is great when it comes to marketing and getting a message out there, but it is now abused by people who want to share too much of their personal lives. I have known people who use social media as a sneaky way to cheat and be deceitful. I have also known couples who go through serious turmoil over Facebook posts and stuff. It really is not worth it.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of social media even though I've been very active on Twitter. I don't Facebook as I think that's a massive time sink. Generally, I wish we lived in a world without social media. It's something that was pushed on us and we can't escape from, until the next evolution that occurs with the internet. I've reduced my usage of Twitter and only go on there once a week. Let's just say that my quality of life has improved significantly.
  8. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

I never looked at it that way. I guess it could really be an addiction since I cannot go an hour without scrolling through my accounts, especially instagram. I get mad when my friends do not post although I never post either. I just lurk and observe. I really need help.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like social media can get pretty invasive in our lives - to the point that people check it multiple times a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I actually deactivated my Facebook account a few months back because I felt like I was spending too much time on there, and I haven't looked back!