An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social Media and Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Last year I saw a stupid challenge on a social networking site. Those interested in the challenge were expected to pub crawl and post selfies on the page to prove that they had been in some pub. Disgusting, if you ask me.

What do you guys think? Has social media made the drug problem worse? Is there a way it [social media] can be used to turn deal a blow to the addiction problem?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Social media unfortunately can come up with some dumb ideas but for me it's the people that are in the wrong. At the end of the day, social media is what you make if it, and while i'm sure that it is used in the right way, it can also be open to abuse as challenges like this show.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that it has made it worse, sometimes I watch a lot of people in social media who are regularly consuming marihuana until it seems to be that is not a big deal, because everyone is doing it, and that's not right. So, I think that what social media has done is to made us see the substance abuse as something "common" or not a serious problem.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Social media is what you make of it. I can see though how people who are struggling with addiction would find it hard to go on there and not see somebody drinking or using drugs. If not in pictures it is on people's status updates. It is in your face all the time.
  5. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I think social media is just another outlet for people who really enjoy gossip and drama. This type of challenge is only going to encourage a drinker to drink and that is not the direction we want to help people move in. I do not use social media at all because I believe there is so much more harm to come from it than good.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

To me, social media can sometimes be a case of trying to seem "cool" by proving you've done stuff. Seriously. I've had times where I've gone on vacation for instance, and been in a grouchy mood but thought to myself "hey - if I take some happy snaps then everyone will think nothing went wrong!"...it's crazy.

As for the drinking side of things, it sounds stupid that people would do that, but it's a sign of the times. Social media is often just a place for bragging rights, if you ask me.
  7. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Social media can be problematic. The fact is that there are some insane people out there who have influence over masses. We can't delete social media however, but what we can do is ignore these idiotic suggestion.
  8. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

We are all entitled to our own convictions, and the step that you have taken to rid social media from your life has been causing you less burden and stress, i can imagine. I can also add that you are able still to use social media positively to impact others.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

They come up with the most stupid challenges on those social networking sites, that is one of the many reasons I don't even use social networks anymore. Pub crawling is not the worst thing I have heard of, but I can imagine how this kind of challenges can actually motivate someone to take on alcohol and make it a hobby... because that is how they make it sound. Some people can be influenced so easily, think it's so cool to go pub crawling...
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, social media sites can really have its advantages and disadvantages. And this issue is just an example of one of its disavantages. Nowadays, people, specially teenagers, tend to brag about high they are on the internet. And yeah, it is kind of disgusting to read these kinds of posts as though it is something for them to be proud about.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'd like to suggest that social media can also be a positive thing for people for substance abusers. I think social media, and the Internet in general, has made reaching out for help and support much easier. There are so many groups on Facebook for people in recovery. And websites like this one are a huge help, too. For people who may not be ready to "come out" in person at a meeting full of strangers, social media and the web can be a great place to start. A lot of people take that first step--admitting they have a problem and asking for help--via social media or the web. So, like everything else, there are good things and bad things about it.
  12. ArsenaP

ArsenaP Member

I don't think the problem is social media its society. We live in a society where substance abuse is glorified and social media makes it much easier to provide encouragement and praise for substance abuse oriented behaviors.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I see posts that glorify and sort of glamorize substance abuse on Tumblr and Snapchat, specifically. I hate how people make the party life seem like it is all fun and games. It is all fun and games until it hits that certain point where everything takes a turn for the worst.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think they're being stupid. Some people just brag about it and it never happened, but sometimes, when kids see how high others can get, they try to top it.
  15. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Social media has a tremendous impact on people just like you mentioned. Also television and entertainment. They make drugs and alcohol look "cool". Young people especially are easily influenced.
  16. luckylefty

luckylefty Member

I think all of media and the entertainment industry has contributed to and influenced addiction and made it that much more socially acceptable. You see and hear it everywhere - ads in magazines, commercials, movies, the radio - with some of the best known names in these industries backing up liquor consumption and sales. It's acceptable to have a drink for any reason, and if you don't have a real, honest-to-goodness reason (if there is such a thing) just make one up. ;)

Up until a couple of years ago here in Washington state, except for beer or wine coolers, you couldn't buy hard alcohol unless you went to the actual liquor store. At least, you kind of had to go out of your way, you know? Now, you can walk into a grocery store to buy it with your groceries. And then there's the legalization of marijuana and the abundance of pot shops everywhere you look...but, I guess...people have always been doing these things, legal or not.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah that is kind of disgusting. Some people have the lowest of the low ideas in their mind. Sounds humiliating to me.
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Well, for me it can go both ways. With regards to your post, yes social media can be used negatively. And it can affect addicts, recovering addicts or even cause a relapse in some people. Simply because it is very impactful and influential. When you see something in social media, you tend to become affected by it. The "trends" become famous just like this pub crawling thing. And so, it encourages you in a way that is negative for your condition.

On the other hand, social media is also a good outlet for recovering addicts or addicts themselves. There are plenty of groups out there that aim to help them. And many times, a stranger's kind words can be of big help to another stranger. So in this sense, social media is used positively.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that it was not a good challenge.
    Social media can be used in so many ways and sometimes being abused like for propagating bad deeds. What alarming is that some can really be encouraged by these flat forms.
  20. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

I'm afraid social media is doing more bad than good. However, we cannot be influenced into doing something except there is an inner weakness to do that thing. At the end of the day, it is our actions that define us. We choose to do what we want to do.