An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social Media

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by 6up, Jul 25, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

If someone starts making money on social media and find themselves working throughout the day, is that an addiction to social media? You can make posts promoting products on Facebook or Twitter. You can find that you spend most of your time liking pages on Facebook, but this time round you are being paid.
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don't see it as an addiction. I see it more as an opportunity. If I can make decent cash on social media, I would be on Facebook or Twitter all the time. If you do it and there is no financial gains, that's where it becomes dicey. Because the happiness you get per second you are on social media diminishes the longer you stay on it. For addicts, this is not the case.
  3. harold

harold Community Champion

I agree with AAngelo, this is not an addiction, Spending time on social media working and making cash, especially when it is decent cash, is not an addiction. I will equally spend the entire day on social media if I could make good money from there. Social media becomes a problem when people enjoy spending lengthy hours on sites like Facebook just chatting and doing nothing substantial. I know a female friend who used to spend eight straight hours on Facebook chatting with people. She will chat with one set of people and when they are gone, a new set comes in and she continues to chat with them. That to me is what social media addiction is all about. I do not believe that earning money on social media can amount to an addiction.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I too see this as an opportunity rather than addiction. If you find something you are good at and are making money from it, there is no harm in that. Many people who venture out to start their own business work around the clock to start making it profitable. That is called hard work and dedication if you ask me.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't think that it's an addiction as long you are doing something productive with your time and your not neglecting your duties and your health. It only becomes an addiction when you do it excessively, like not even sleeping and being in front of your pc 24 hours straight. I actually know someone that watched anime for 24 hours straight, and I find that excessive.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I do not think this is an addiction. It is more like a work opportunity or an opportunity to earn money. Some people work in real life and some people work in the internet. It is just a variation of work, a different type of a work environment. As long as the person still tries to maintain his real social life then there is no problem.
  7. Rosyrain

Working online requires a lot more work an attention than most out of home jobs do anyway. Some could argue that I am addicted to my cell phone, but I mostly use my cell phone to work my online jobs and less for general chat, so it is all about making money to me.
  8. run2live

run2live Member

This is a gray area to me. On one hand, making money is a great thing, and it doesn't lend itself to addiction in most cases. But with social media, the question of addiction is more about how the person feels and reacts during the process. Studies show Facebook, for example, releases the same hormones cuddling does. So, if the person is using social media as a job and can walk away from it as easily as s/he can a desk or a production line, then that's not addiction. But if s/he is unable to stop checking for updates or is letting social media use prevent daily life and interactions, then that's addiction.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think this is called being a workaholic. If your always on social media trying to make money, your working. Being a workaholic is nothing new. Some people own businesses and stay up till 5 in the morning working. Being productive is good but you have to take a brake sometimes. You don't want to over exert yourself.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've heard of such opportunities where one can earn money by visiting, following and liking various pages or tweets. I don't think this has much to do with being addicted, rather one is motivated by the money they can earn by partaking in these activities. Folks that promote products already have a large enough following on their various social media channels. If they are earning money from this one can consider them to be quite savvy.
  11. Rosyrain

It is a good thing to be a workaholic when you really need the money. It is the feeling of being able to take care of yourself instead of just drowning out your sorrows in drugs and alcohol. There is a sense of achievement that comes along with making a little extra money when you need it the most.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Nowadays social media almost affects our life both the young and old people. And it is up to you how you will use these sites in the internet either just for fun, learning, or earning money. There are some legit sites that can help you earn a minimal amount of money aside from your regular job. In some ways it can help you paying your little expenses at home. That is why I think this is not a form to addiction to consider because I myself is earning money in some internet sites and somehow it is giving me additional income.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If you use social media to make money that's hardly an addiction, rather it's an opportunity as others have said. If you work 8 hours a day at a factory you can't say that you're addicted to a factory, you're just making a living for yourself. :p
  14. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I don't think its an addiction to constantly be on a social media site. I think most of the people that are always on these sites and constantly posting want the attention their obviously not getting in their everyday life. I've had a friend close her account because not enough people were liking her post. Their behavior seems to be more of an obsession then an addiction.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it would depend on how much the wage is and how it pays as well and if it is worthwhile then I would work on social media, and make some extra money and I would take breaks as well so I get my mind cleared. It is something you need to be aware of and also try and view it as extra work and have time for other things, a few hours a day is alright anymore and the eyes and body may start to get tired and weary as well. I reckon it is interesting to see how social media can get people addicted and this can cause some to work more hours and if it does make a descent amount of money than it is a good opportunity.
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

If you are getting paid to do it then it is a job so I don't think it would be considered an addiction. I come to work everyday I am not addicted to work. It is what I do to make ends meet, to pay my bills. I know lots of people who are addicted to social media though but if it is for work purposes I would say it was an addiction.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that as long as you still have social life and not forcing yourself to work all the time on social media, it is not yet an addiction. But it can be an addiction like being an alcoholic or excessively working. Just with the use of the social media.