An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social/political conditions and substance abuse.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by anorexorcist, Aug 30, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hello, everyone! Last week in history class my teacher made a comment about how the social/political/economic situation of a country can be depressing for a lot of people... And that made me think about how that specific state of depression can lead people to start or keep abusing of substances such as drugs or alcohol, so I wanted to know your opinion about this, do you think that those situations can make such a big impact on people's lives (unconsciously or consciously) to consume drugs/alcohol?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that those can be causes or reasons for addiction. An example is that the usual addiction in poor countries are alcohol, cigarette and gambling which might be their way to overcome overthinking about their current situation.
  3. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I agree that poor living and economic situations do have a correlation with increased substance use. In many 3rd world countries there is no mental health care, or even awareness of mental health. The people self medicate with substances because they don't know what else to do. There is no counseling or support groups for them to turn to.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well personally I think people who are gonna use, are gonna use no matter what the circumstances, but there is no doubt that conditions of your life can make substance abuse more likely. It is just one of the things that people who become addicts will use to account for their condition. Who knows why people start...but quitting is the hard part, as most of us know.
    dechantajones likes this.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Trauma is a big one. Traumatic events can cause one to try to cope with drugs and alcohol.
    People stuck in poverty often are subjected to more trauma, and have less resources then richer people.
    This is just once part of the story, too.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think if someone doesn't deal with negative circumstances well it could lead to drug use. If someone is looking for a way to get away from it all drugs or even alcohol could be tempting. I think even in the times we live in, learning how to deal with stress in a effective safe way is the best thing to do. Drug abuse only mask a problem that will be there when your high comes down. I think working towards a positive change in these conditions we face is the best way to channel this negative energy.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Yes. In North Korea for example, addiction to Crystal Meth is a serious problem.

When people have no hope and are beset with problems which they believe they can't solve, the only way, they believe, to cope with that is to use drugs so they can't face the real world. Unfortunately for them, though, drugs are no solution to any problem.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Are you for reals???? I'm serious! How can those people get meth over there? I've heard they are all basically slaves... forced to live like animals? I mean, the moms and sons/daughters are often so disconnected they don't hesitate once to tell on each other if they find out they plan to escape (so whistle blower doesn't get punished for what his or her parents wanted to do, even though his her parents end up sentenced to death). It's so sad! But tell me, how do they get meth in those circumstances?? I'm very curious.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Depression and poverty often go hand in hand with addiction, in my opinion, as does high unemployment. People are looking at ways to escape from their lives, especially in times when things aren't going well for them, so it's no surprise that drug addiction tends to rise, the more problems society has.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Of course. Depression and poverty are somehow correlated. Due to scarcity and poor living conditions, some people would fall into depression, and to find a way to escape the harsh reality of life, they would then resort to drug abuse. These kinds of things are quite saddening. Instead of working hard to be successful, why would some people choose to waste their life away? We can never really tell though.
  11. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

The states don't give a damn about the population, they only care about the money and the crisis they create, so we are on our own...
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Apparently it's the North Korean government that manufactured meth which would then be sold to their customers in the West and elsewhere. Take a look at the article linked to below:

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/27/world/la-fg-north-korea-meth-20140127
    Methamphetamine . . . is a rare commodity manufactured and sold in North Korea, where most factories sit idle . . . the North Korean government once produced the drug . . . and resourceful entrepreneurs have since set up their own small facilities, and evidence suggests that they are distributing the drug beyond the nation's borders.

That's how they get their meth.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@Rainman Thanks for the interesting read. I am amazed to read such a thing! I had no idea they manufactured that kind of thing over there, I guess the use of meth is what helps those poor people deal with that kind of horrible life. Poor people. I have read horrible things about the life there, I do wonder why we just stand there and see... when will the reign of horror of that man end? I do believe hell exists and it's actually living in North Korea.
  14. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Well surely. I can make you an example: in Italy some time ago a law has been approved and it basically enlarge the years you have have to do in order to retire. The ones that would have been retired the same year had seen their retirement shifted by 2 years. Guess how it could be depressing for people that see's the light at the end of the tunnel moved.. I know a couple that went in depression and felt under the addiction of the cocaine.
  15. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

Absolutely. Drug use is statistically more common in areas that are socio-economically opressed. For example, slums, or the "poor parts of town". Why? You have a depressed, opressed population with no real socio-economic opportunities. Chances are they aren't getting a very good education either.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well, yes of course it does. Its quite strategic if you study it. "The Great Depression" is prime example of that. It was the worst in history. It was actually worldwide. People walking around with signs on them "Why can't you give my Dad a job?" - "Wanted a decent job." - "4 children for Sale: inquire within"-- "Work is what I want. Not charity." --"I know 3 trades. I speak 3 languages. I have 3 children. I haven't worked for 3 months. But I only want ONE job."
    There aren't so many people doing things like this today, but I am sure the signs can be something that many can relate to. Its a little bit different this time around.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Your teacher had a very good point there. In most impoverished states, there is a huge demand for illegal drugs and widespread use of alcohol. The people there drink to escape the harsh realities of life and drink to make life more bearable.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's interesting - I feel like it can go both ways. Certainly from an economic standpoint, some of the countries I have travelled to myself have been poorer than my own country, but the people there seemed overwhelmingly so more happy. It's interesting that financial 'richness' doesn't always translate to feeling rich inside. I understand that social or political issues may cause a person to feel unsafe and that stress could lead to drug abuse - but I haven't seen any specific stats to know if that's definitely the case, it's just a possible assumption on my end of things.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, economic and financial conditions always seem to be one of the causes why people resort to drugs and alcohol. They make an erroneous judgement of escaping from their problems instead of solving it by improving their living conditions. That is a sad fact that we have to face.