An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social situations and alcohol consumption.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by anorexorcist, Jul 18, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that a lot of people have been on a social situations where everyone is drinking or smoking, and even if this person don't feel like it, they order alcohol just because everyone else is drinking, and it's really interesting how a lot of people change their minds to fit in, and it's interesting too how people associate alcohol with socializing and having a good time, because this kind of situations situations can provoke addiction to certain substances, what are your thoughts about social situations and alcohol? Do you think it should be taken seriously?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most social events involve alcohol. If you go too a restaurant there's a bar there. If you go to a cook out there's beer's in the cooler. The thing is, if your trying to avoid alcohol go places where there won't be any. I think social drinking can be a problem for someone in recovery.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It does seem like it comes with the territory. If there is a social gathering then you can expect drinking to be involved somehow. Should we take it seriously? I don't know what you are asking really? It is a peer pressure thing. You have a choice to be there or not. You just need to decide if you are going to fall in line or make up your own mind.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

To bond with co-workers most people will accept invitations to parties and probably afterwards they'll be asked to join their friends at some bar. It's all about bonding, you have to be polite and that kind of thing. Get invited to several of these parties and it will be relatively easy to prove that you are more laid back, taste some alcohol but once you do that maybe your friends will want you to spend more time with you [ so they can make you a drinking buddy.

Drinking in social situations can be pretty bad and one must resist the temptation or avoid such social gatherings if they can't resist the temptation to drink.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Oh yes, I’ve been there. Sometimes it seems like it’s the only way some people know how to socialize, over drinks. It’s kind of why I don’t do the whole hanging-out thing anymore, though that can get mighty lonely at times. But I would try to stay sober around people who were drinking and while I did succeed, I just felt disconnected and detached from them. Couldn’t relate at all. I guess I just wish more people realized that alcohol isn’t an absolute necessity in social situations.
  6. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Hmm... That's a problem, isn't it? Though, I think that those situations could be prevented if you don't get drunk and properly monitor your alcohol consumption. I'm sure your friends or acquaintances will understand if you tell them your condition! =D
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, look at it this way: if you like dancing, decide to go to a disco, but don't feel like dancing and the music is pumping, you're at least going to stump your feet. Now, if you don't like dancing, and you're just doing it because everyone else is doing it, I would attribute that to a lack of personality.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think every social situation that I go to, alcohol is being consumed. It's not because we're all alcoholics, it's simply because it's a part of culture these days and every day life.

people are often concerned about how much alcohol is being consuned, but if people drink in moderation and they know when they've had enough, having a few drinks in order to relax can also be a good thing.
  9. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

It can be very difficult to actually avoid alcohol when you're in a social situation, because there is always so much pressure to join in - even when you really don't want to. I find that a lot of recovering addicts will partake just because they feel as though they should, but in actual fact it is the beginning of another relapse, because all that they manage to do is to get another taste for what they were supposed to have given up, which is a shame.
  10. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I personally don't understand the alcohol culture throughout most of the world. Why we meet in large groups and consume alcohol (which is a relatively heavy drug) while shunning other forms of drug use is beyond me. I myself drink in social situations because I'm not overly social and I find a couple drinks goes a long way.
  11. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

I rarely drink even when people around me drink because I am often the designated driver when my husband isn't around. I don't think it's a problem to drink when others are around as long as you do not have to do it every time they are around.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When I was younger I felt the pressure to drink in social situations when everybody else was having a drink but I no longer feel that way. If I go out somewhere, to a party or an event and there is drinking going on I am just as comfortable drinking my ice water. I can still have a good time and be social without having a drink.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Peer pressure is always a factor in one's potential addiction. You start off doing something exactly the same extent as the other persons do. For example, if they order 2 pints of beer, you tend to do exactly the same as them, although you don't like alcohol very much. It's about "integrating oneself in an entourage".
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think one have the choice of not drinking even everyone is drinking around you. I have been to that situation when everyone is drinking in a celebration but I do not drink even they have tried to make me drink several times. It is a matter of self control and they should respect you saying no to them.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, alcohol mixed with socializing it's kind of a taboo thing. You will never get to know how a person is really like if he/she's drunk and unable to communicate properly. Alcohol removes inhibitions though, so that's why people drink when they're in a social environment. Everyone there is happy and having fun.
  16. run2live

run2live Member

If I need to make sure I'm staying sober, I make myself responsible for getting someone else home. By being the designated driver, I know people will leave me alone about my own drinking. As for social drinking, everyone has the choice whether to drink.

If people are pressuring you and you don't want to be forceful about your refusal, order something that looks drinkish. I go for cranberry juice and seltzer water, and I ask the bartender to use a cocktail glass. Almost all bartenders understand and work with you when friends want to order you a round -- just say, "I'll have another" and the bartender will keep the virgin drinks coming.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Changing to fit in was a big part of how I ended up drinking in the first place. It's amazing at a certain age what a lot of us will to do be accepted by our peers and to feel like a part of the group. Plus, I think a bigger portion of the population than you would expect have a degree of social anxiety. Alcohol is the easy thing that seems to numb that, and I think a lot of people turn to it to allow them to feel more confident.