An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Social Smoking Developing into Full-Time Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by KiZ01, Apr 1, 2020.

1. KiZ01

KiZ01 Member

Hi,

I used to be a social smoker, however, recently I have been smoking a lot more. I feel as though my smoking is more of a routine than an addiction? Has any one had a similar experience?

I want to be at the stage where I can social smoke only. Does anyone have any tips on how they manage to limit their smoking to social situations only?
    Davers likes this.
  2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

KiZ01 writes >>I used to be a social smoker, however, recently I have been smoking a lot more. I feel as though my smoking is more of a routine than an addiction? Has any one had a similar experience?I want to be at the stage where I can social smoke only. Does anyone have any tips on how they manage to limit their smoking to social situations only?<<

I’m assuming you’re referencing smoking tobacco?

I occasionally smoked cigars socially while drinking alcoholic beverages, but didn’t inhale, I wouldn’t consider inhaling. I owned a cocktail lounge and while drinking alcoholic beverages, I’d occasionally inhale a cigarette or two from a pack of cigarettes that a customer left. When I became abstinent from alcohol due to my alcoholism, I began to smoke more and eventually became addicted to cigarettes, which was a transfer of addictions from alcohol to cigarettes. Eventually I recovered from my cigarette addiction, as I had from alcohol addiction, but my recovery from cigarettes (nicotine) was more difficult than from alcohol.

Over the years, I’ve known 100’s that were addicted to different types of drugs, many were polyaddicted , e.g. heroin, alcohol, and cigarettes, alcohol and cigarettes, cocaine, alcohol and cigarettes, heroin, alcohol cigarettes the list go on. Some even transferred to non-substance addictions like gambling.

I studied the science why my tobacco addiction was more difficult to quite, including interviewing the polyaddicted. What I found was that nicotine is an alkaloid as is heroin and the tolerance factor similar to heroin continues to where my smoking increased over the years. The psychological addiction is also similar to heroin addiction. I’ve known many that were abstinent from heroin, but continued to smoke and virtually everyone shared that nicotine was harder to quite that heroin.

The bottom line for me is very simple, my addictions to the drugs that helped me feel better about myself, were a symptom (indicator) of my emotional / mental disorders that basically was low self esteem (low self worth). Until I resolved my emotional / mental disorders, I couldn't recover.
    KiZ01 and Davers like this.
  3. Davers

Davers Community Champion

Sorry I wish that I could help as i'm smoking right now , I need to quit .
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  4. Davers

Great reply Bullwinkle
  5. Davers

Ill reply .
    I'm def, Poly-addicted to substances ( tho I don't abuse , still that is no excuse , I know that ) Tobacco is very hard to stop , I quit for 2 years in my mid 20's . but now I avg, about a pack a day .

My mental issues 'Anxiety, slight Depression, my OCD is 90 % worry . Sure don't help .
    My obsessive addictive behavior is Bad as I been Known to Dip & Smoke at the same time or Snus & smoke & Vape & smoke. Man that's even looks bad on the screen.

Heck my best friend was diagnosed with advanced Lung Cancer 2 months ago, she is just over 50 & just started Chemo last week , yet I still smoke. I'm more depressed now than I have been since 19 y/o.

Anyway I'd do yr best to stop smoking , try to get yr mind in the right place , I think it's good you know the issue is getting worse so IMO you are started in the right direction .

I wish you all the strength in the world to overcome , KIZ01
  6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

There's undisputed link between nicotine addiction and depression!
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

@KiZ01 time to wake up my friend...You been playing with multiple addiction's and I know by the way you reach out you want a different life...Heres the best advice I can give.. .STOP NOW YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.Not just in the traditional sense but in the end result.WAKE UP BROTHER.
    STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS YOU
    Davers likes this.
  8. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

I fall asleep sometimes while I'm dipping so i can't say anything except heroin was a big deal and if i was craving both and had to choose between them...hands down id pick opiods
    Davers and True concern like this.
  9. True concern

True concern Moderator

I think all heroin/oxy users would over nicotine every time as once you get your fix you can chase nicotine...Not so much the other way around
    Davers and Joshstillclean like this.
  10. Davers

I'm thinking of starting to dip again as cig's are making my life harder & easier in a strange way , I may try Snus again.?

This reminds me , I can always tell when someone is on Methadone esp , or other opiates & smoke cigs , as they have burn holes in every possible place , esp, their Bed ( like me sorry to say , but I rarely do that anymore ) or their sofas , and clothes. Oh , If forced to choose i'd choose opiates as well , BUT ! for me death would come faster if I chose opiates .
  11. Davers

Makes since , like "I only wanna smoke while drinking excuse ".
  12. Davers

I assume Kiz01 (like Elvis ) has left the building . ?

Or did not like the answers he/she got . ?
  13. KiZ01

KiZ01 Member

Hi Davers,

Apologies I have not responded. I found the replies to be a little overwhelming and gave me a lot to think about.
  14. Davers

No biggie , I was being sarcastic , to much info / opinions really scramble my brain as well .
    Best wishes