An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Socially smoking vs private smoking

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Kappys, Feb 16, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think you're right, and its much easier to blame others than blame yourself, even when you know full well that there's nobody else to blame but yourself.

If you started smoking some time ago, your memory will become distorted and you'll even start to believe it was other peoples fault when it might not have been.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I do.
    A lot of kids start out getting high because their friends use the drug.
    But often that's only how it starts.
    MJ is proven to make you anti-social.
    So eventually these kids wind up just living in their parents basement getting high and playing games all day long.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I would say the vast majority of high school age kids that smoke marijuana begin using it because of their friends. I doubt kids at that age are thinking about the mind expanding benefits of smoking pot. I know when I was at that age, I just viewed pot as this cool thing to do.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

At that age it is more to do with peer pressure more than anything else. If you don't start smoking it till your older, then maybe their is a case to say your trying to expand your mind, but at 13 or 14 years old, like you say, I very much doubt that's at the top of your agenda.
  5. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

It's more of a social endeavor, believe me. I remember smoking for the first time in high school since a couple of my friends were all hanging out in the woods and they asked if I wanted to try some. I didn't want to stand out so I was pretty much forced to say yes.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I agree, I doubt there will be kids that will wake up one morning and say that they want to smoke pot. There has to be someone that has to pass it around.
  7. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

When I was in high school the only reason I started smoking was because I hung out with the wrong group of friends. Eventually I gave into marijuana because of peer pressure,
  8. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am sure that peer pressure has a lot to do with young people beginning to smoke marijuana. Kids want to fit in and sometimes they want to fit in with the wrong crowd. This could lead them to smoking and then afterwards it probably becomes for more personal reasons. They still want to feel the effects of the marijuana and it no longer matters if they fit in with their friends.
  9. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

In that particular case, yes. Most kids spend their time worrying about what other kids think. If there is enough pressure, or bullying children will give in to anything to fit in. I remember hanging with my friends and they would be be smoking, & I would get picked on so much for not participating. If i were offered money, or if I even gave a rats ass about what other children thought, I would've given in.