An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Soda addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by LifeM1, Dec 15, 2014.

1. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

Is there anyone here that feels they are addicted to caffeinated beverages, specifically soda?

I personally would say that I am in fact addicted to cocacola. I drink it daily and have it with at least one meal. Sometimes I'll find that I let an entire pile of cans build up around my computer station, with sticky residue on the surface of the desk. It's a bit frustrating to see this. Now, some would probably tell me that this isn't a real problem because soda isn't a drug. Which... Is fair. It's just sugary water. It isn't like I'm drinking twenty a day.

What is your take?
  2. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I'm not addicted to soda, but if the opportunity rises where I can drink some, I would not be the one to say no. That being said, you can definitely get addicted to sugar, and the results can just be as harmful as taking other drugs. Lately, I've been trying to lose weight, so I've been trying to cut the soda from my diet. I find that slowly drinking less helps.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I had a friend who drank over 2 liters of coke per day, I don't even imagine how he did that, he drank it instead of water, so I hope he changed his habits fast...!!
  4. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Wow I hope he did too. Soda is terrible for you. It destroys the enamel on your teeth and weakens your bones. Not to mention of late what I read about what they put in there.
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I do have a fondness for carbonated beverages but I drink a lot of Martinelli's Apple Cider. Carbonated cider basically. I used to drink a lot of Sprite with pizza and fast food but I just drink cider instead now. Also I have developed a fondess for iced tea. I still would love some soda once in awhile but especially when it is hot outside, it does nothing except dehydrate your further.
  6. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Yes, many years ago I was addicted to Diet Pepsi (Diet Coke would not do it for me). It was really bad. I could easily polish off a six pack of it in less than 2 hours. It got to the point where I was getting very dehydrated and feeling woozy and sick afterwards. It was terrible stuff. I was drinking only soda to the exclusion of other beverages. I had to cut back really gradually because every time I tried to go cold turkey, I failed. Actually I could make it through a couple days but then went back to it full force. I eventually weaned down to one and then none. It's been years now since I have had a diet soda of any type and I don't miss it anymore.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I used to be addicted to sweet drinks. There was a time when I almost never drank just water and instead would grab either a soda or a fruit juice, and fortunately I was able to turn away from it before it got too far because I'd hate to have the habit stick with me until I was older and became more at risk for diseases. I can't pinpoint the exact moment I started to drink water almost exclusively but once I got used to it I hardly even ordered soda at restaurants anymore.
  8. Gelsemium

Any person that knows that coke and similar drinks is totally corrosive on pipes for example is being negligent by drinking it, imagine what it does to our inside.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh, no this is a bad one. Soda has really bad chemical sweeteners that are like crack. Aspartame is a very bad one. It causes pains in the body and long term health issues. Aspartame was invented in the late 60's. The FDA kept denying it because it made cancer tumors grow in rats. The guy who invented it persisted in getting it approved. Finally in the 80's it went through. It is linked to cancer and all sorts of issues. Sodas are loaded with it now. Aspartame is the feces from a bacteria that they create in a lab.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Too much of anything is never good for you. If you know the negative effects of excessive soda intake, then there's no reason to indulge. One soda a day will fast track the rusting of your cells. If you don't want to contract one sickness after another then you would do well to put an end to your soda addiction. I'm sure your will to be better is a lot stronger than your desire to drink soda.
  11. Gelsemium

Now you've said it right xTinx, we should never abuse not even an healthy food, so even more soda that can really destroy our body, we need to wise up.
  12. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Do they still use aspartame in soda ? I thought it was banned ?
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not consider myself addicted to any caffeinated drinks especially to soda.
    I seldom drink soda just when I will be eating in a fast food chain which is also on a seldom basis and when there is an occasion.
  14. Gelsemium

I don't consider myself addicted either, but I do know that I would be healthier if I drank water between meals and nothing during meals, so drinking a big glass of sugar is certainly bad.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it has been banned yet. I still see it in the list of ingredients in our diet sodas, at least locally. I'm not sure if it is banned in some countries, though. I'm pretty sure it's still the primary sweetener used now in diet sodas but I've been seeing a few move away from it and using something different that I can't remember right now.
  16. Gelsemium

That's the issue with a number of drugs Charli, some countries ban it, others don't, years pass and we keep consuming those substances... Where is the coherence?
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Caffeine addiction is a very real addiction. More people die from caffeine addiction than you would think. Aspartme is an ingredient used in soda that is known to be very lethal. Nobody should mess around with soda to the point where you can't quit. Like it was said early in this thread, too much of anything is a bad thing
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyone is talking about illegal drugs but the most addictive substance none to man is sugar. Believe it or not.

There is was a study done on rat. A group of rats born to be addicted to cocaine were given 2 types of water jugs to drink out of. One being cocaine laced water and the other was sugar water. Guess what the rats took to first? They drank all the sugar water before touching the cocaine water.

So even when you are predisposed and addicted to cocaine.............................. sugar/gluten/glucose will prevail.

This reminds me of a lot of people that I know, they cannot love or eat without rice!! They just can't do it. I stopped eating it for a couple of months. Then I tried eating some again, and I got a serious head rush and got nauseated.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This post reminds me of my mom's aunt, she started drinking coca cola when she was a teen and continued well into her adulthood. Well, long story short, she died some years ago after battling for years kidney disease, that turned into perm damage and then after some years and hemodialysis her body gave up.

I am just saying this to caution the OP, my mom's aunt drank cola daily. She drank it instead of drinking actual water. No wonder she died of kidney failure. So be careful, I think is good you have realized that you have an addiction. Now work on controling it. Isn't easy, but you need to find your own motivation.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Sugar and caffeine are very real, and you can get hooked on them.
    Soda isn't great for you, so more than a liter a week I would say try and find ways to cut down. The more you drink of that stuff the more you are going to crave it.