An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Soda addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by LifeM1, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I have a soda addiction to Root Beer now and again. I love the taste so much that I can't get enough. I'm forced to withdraw from buying them but they are so tempting!
  2. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When I was still younger I do drink sodas. But when my father was diagnosed with diabetes all of us in the family got aware and the doctor said it is hereditary that is why we must limit ourselves and stay away from sweets as we can. And so drinking soda is in that list and from then on and up to now I do not drink soda anymore. Because before anything else I think my health is important.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The only addiction you could get from this is a caffeine and sugar addiction. It is sugary water but has a lot of caffeine in it. Your probably not the only one with this problem. I think one or two of these a day isn't too bad. If you don't ever drink water tho you'll get dehydrated. I think sugar and caffeine can be addictive tho.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I would say I'm addicted to caffeine in coffee - I don't drink soda much at all but I do know many people that display addictive type tendencies to soda. I mainly get headaches when I don't have the same level of caffeine as I'm used to - I'm trying to wean myself off it slowly but surely.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I can easily finish 2 or 1.5 liters of soda in 24 to 48 hours. So stocking them at home is a big no-no. Luckily, I don't want to spend that much money on soda, so I rarely buy it. It is addictive though, because I have a cousin who would drink nothing but soda instead of water everyday.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I was a massive Coca-Cola addict back in my teens. I later switched Coca-Cola for Red Bull but I eventually just got sick of it. I didn't suffer any negative side effects to my health. It simply became a boring drink to keep drinking on a daily basis. The only cold beverages I drink now are water and fruit juices and I'm very happy with that choice.
  7. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I don't feel addicted to them even though I can't deny that I'm drink it very often, pretty much 5-6 days a week but I don't feel addicted to them at all because if there is one day or even two that I don't assume sodas it's not that I feel sick or something...
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I used to be addicted to this one brand called "Chubby Boy". They were small sodas that offered millions of flavorings and they were awesome! This was back when I was around 8 by the way. I would drink 5 a day and yes, it was not good for me at all. Weird thing now is that the brand disappeared but I guess they are still around, just lurking.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I was addicted to Coca Cola when I was pregnant. I guess that's why I gained so much weight. It is funny but it is only that time that I craved it. Maybe because I never really drank much of it when I was not pregnant. Now, I can't even finish a glass of it.
  10. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I had a friend in high school who used to drink Diet Pepsi because it was 'better' for him than regular Pepsi. The problems with diet pop aside, he drank so much of the stuff - six, seven, eight cans a day - that I suspect he used the 'diet' label as a way to justify his addiction.

I'm not addicted to soda, and I don't think I've ever been, though I do feel the pleasant sugar rush whenever I have some. For some reason it makes me irritable, though, so I try not to keep it around the house too often, as I don't feel like snapping at guests during social situations.