An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Soft drinks as a substitute for alcohol?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Hiraeth, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

My boyfriend is addicted to alcohol. He doesn't like to accept this but we both know this is true. He has been trying to quit for a while now, upon my incessant insistence, and it has been around 10 days since he has stopped.

However , as a substitute he has taken to soft drinks. He's been downing at least a liter of Pepsi or Cola every single day without fail. If I try to stop him he gets cranky and snaps at me to not make it more difficult for him.

How harmful is this? I know those drinks have a very high content of caffeine and carbon dioxide, would this harm terribly in the long run? I can't understand what to tell him, choosing a lesser evil in a greater quantity over a bigger evil in smaller quantity doesn't seem very different to me. Does any one know of the long term effects of soft drink consumption?? Have you ever tried substituting alcohol with Cola?
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

All of the sugar in soda is not good for you either and he will eventually develop a whole new set of problems because of it. Perhaps he could drink some carbonated flavored water instead? He would still get the tounge sting of the carbonation, but way less sugar intake.
  3. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

It's better than alcohol, but although very sugary. It could lead to problems such as Diabetes, Obesity, and many more. If he drinks a liter every single day, then it will harm him eventually so I decide you do your beest to try and help him to quit by spending time with him and reminding him about the bad long term effects of it, so he'll stop. I've never tried substituting alcohol for Cola.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

All that sugar that is contained in Cola drinks will get him into trouble. It might not immediately lead to diabetes, but it will make his bones soft. In my view drinking an excessive amount of soft drinks is just as harmful as consuming alcohol, only the effects are different. I think that your boyfriend is currently craving the high he gets from sugar. I have seen people go all hazy and vague after drinking a whole bottle of Cola or Pepsi.
    Perhaps it might be a good idea to consult a counselor or family member who can help you dealing with this current difficult stage your boyfriend is going through.
  5. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

It's not too harmful soo their is no need to stop him to drink cold drinks. This is the best way to quit alcohol addiction.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Softdrinks is also harmful. Too much consumption of it can also cause health problems and as we know, there are lots of sugar on it. So, one disease you can get from drinking too much of softdrinks is diabetes. Better to quit both drinking alcohol and softdrinks too much.
    thisizznaveen likes this.
  7. thisizznaveen

But I think it's a good way to quit alcohol as alcohol is much harmful than cold drink . It's true that these cold drinks have also cause health problems but after few months it's automatically low down drinking cold drink.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a lot of the time with addictions and recovery we have to think in baby step terms rather than leaps and bounds. It's not ever an easy process really. Despite soft drink not being the healthiest thing one can consume, I do think his movement away from alcohol has to be seen as a positive step. Once he feels comfortable away from the alcohol and isn't as reliant on the soft drink to take its place, you could perhaps suggest trying half the soda intake and having flavored water for the other half. The fact you are worried shows you care and that is a super important thing. Best of luck!
  9. zaerine

If it is really true than after few months there will be a lower consumption of cold drinks as you stated, then it will be just okay. But not in the point that a person already got sick because of too much consumption of cold drinks.
    thisizznaveen likes this.
  10. thisizznaveen

Don't take tension and give time to your boyfriend so that he will lower down consumption of cold drink.
  11. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Soft drinks are very unhealthy and too much consumption can lead to health problems. Sometimes people know the health risks but are not bothered by them because they think they are immune.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

With all due respect, it sounds like you are nagging him a little. You've admitted that he's only quit alcohol because you wouldn't stop insisting that he does. Now he has and you're nagging him about something else!

Take a step back for a moment. Yes, soda isn't the healthiest thing in the world but at least he's dealing with his alcohol problem. If you keep going on at him, he's likely to fall off the wagon.
  13. zaerine

Yes, do not put too much pressure on him. But do not forget to remind him that too much of it is also bad.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The soda is just another addiction. It's just toxic liquid. It makes you gain weight and have all kinds of health issues. Take a look at the ingredients. Look them up, all those big words. If you don't know the word or can't pronounce it. Why would you want to drink it? It's not real it is chemical liquid garbage. Unless you like drinking chemicals. Carbonation also disturbs calcium absorption and bloats your stomach.
  15. recovered

recovered Member

caffein is still as bad as alcohol in my books. It may not create the altered behavior and motor skills but it does kill you slowly from the inside out. I think trying to replace a substance abuse problem with an alternate substance doesn't help someone from overcoming the addictive personality. It just transfers the addiction from one thing to another, never really solving the underlying cause for the addiction in the first place. If I were your boyfriend I would try to get professional help or get into therapy. It might help and work. I wish you both the best of luck, keep us updated as far as his progress to sobriety.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

If i was asked what is worse... alcoholism or addiction to sugar, well, I'd say alcoholism is worse. It can literally kill him, specially if he drank daily. So for now just let him drink his soft drinks, he might have to lose weight later on, but drinking alcohol wasn't helping his waistline either. So if I were you i'd just let him. What matters now is that he stop drinking, quitting drinking can be so hard, and he needs all the help he needs... don't take away the only thing that is helping him control his cravings.

Worry about the effects of soft drinks later, for now focus on him quitting alcohol, it ain't easy and it tells me he must love you very much for doing what he is doing now. Not many people quit because their loves ones tell them, your man is so courageous and brave.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The thing about drinking a lot of soda is he should drink water as well. If this helps him stop with alcohol why should he stop? The only damaging effect this could have is dehydration from caffeine. Just like with alcohol you have to drink water behind it to avoid the health effects of dehydration. Doing this the right way, I think using cola as a alternative is the lesser of two evils.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

A large consumption of cold drinks is harmful. While not as dangerous as alcohol, it's still not a good substitute. It's better to drink mineral water and natural fruit drinks instead. These may not be as tasty but they are good for one's health and mental well-being.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Soft drinks as a substitute is harmful to the body. It can contain additives and all sorts of chemicals you can't even pronounce.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

There was a woman who used to consume 10 liters of Coca Cola a day, which was a lot and died at the age of 30 and had 8 children and a husband, and goes to show a person needs to be careful in the amount they consume as it can cause the health to suffer. A person should consume only a little amount as having more than they need can lead to an addiction which is not good and can see the person spending more money on soft drinks, then on other things which are necessary. I think with your boyfriend you need to be a bit easy so he may see that the soft drinks are alright sometimes, but not good all the time and will take time to understand this and just be supportive of him so he knows you are there for him.