An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Soft drinks as a substitute for alcohol?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Hiraeth, Apr 18, 2015.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think its better he drinks those soft drinks than alcohol. We all know that alcohol can ruin lives and families but i am yet to hear about the bad effects of soft drinks to any family or person. And even if there are risks involved in consuming soft drinks, am sure they are minimal.
  2. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

Its better than alcohol but still pretty bad. All that sugar and caffeine definitely isn't good. He could become addicted to caffeine too if he isn't careful. I suggest you both sitting down and having a talk about it. He might still get mad but remind him that you love him and you're worried.
  3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Softdrinks is loaded with too much sugar and is bad for health if you will drink this regularly. It will also do harm to your boyfriend too. You can advice him to drink natural fruit juices which also taste sweet but it had a natural sugar that is more safe than softdrinks.
  4. thekennie

thekennie Member

I'm not addicted to alcohol but I do drink often, whenever I don't buy beer or liquor then I buy a few cases of soda. I basically choose my poison. I drink plenty of water now as well but I use to drink nothing but soda all the time. Try suggestion another drink like koolaid or something, I hope he is able to seek help for his addiction. All you can really do is support him and be by his side through the hard times and maybe you will both be able to pass the bad.
  5. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

I am pretty sure my dad is addicted to soda. For as long as I can remember the only drink I ever see him with is a pepsi or a coke. There maybe occasions where he's drinking milk, but most of the time it's soda. And I know how bad soda can be! One time my dad took us to McDonald's for breakfast and he ordered soda for us! Yuck! I never felt so sick before.
  6. Lesser of two evils for sure! I think it is better than alcohol for sure, but sugar could be just as deadly for him in the long run. If he wants to live long life with you, he really needs to figure out a way to not be ingesting as much soda, just as much as he needs to not eb ingesting as much alcohol.
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

There is a difference in amount of alcohol you can drink and soft stuff you can drink. Both are equally dangerous if you drink too much and it seems that your boyfriend has that problem. Overdoing of anything can harm him in many ways and maybe he is addicted to excess not exclusively to alcohol. It is less harmful to drink 1 litre of beer everyday then 1 litre of Coca Cola.
  8. mrbrown

mrbrown Member

They say soda is the new tobacco. It affects your teeth, your kidneys, probably your whole body negatively so it's not a good substitute for alcohol.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Maybe you could start substituting something that would not be quite as harmful as a ice tea with a little sugar...or juices. All the sugar in the soda is not good, but maybe gradually phasing it out with drinks that would not be as harmful is the way to go. I think the key is finding something your boyfriend likes, that will not be as harmful as soda.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would rather he drink the soda then alcohol. Even though it isn't good for him it is better then the alcohol was. I wouldn't worry about it too much while he is trying to quit the alcohol. I wouldn't discourage him in case he takes it as criticism and decides to go back to the alcohol. He will figure it out. I would support him on the stopping drinking in anyway I can.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you should explain to him that it's not wrong to drink softdrinks, but he should drink it in moderation, because anything excessive can be harmful to our health. At least he quit taking alcohol, but now just gently explain the bad effects of too much sugar and hope that he will listen to you.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Anything addictive is harmful to the body. What will happen if he becomes addicted to soft drinks? Research has shown how sugary foods and drinks can result to one being overweight. If he wants to quit taking alcohol then he must avoid being addicted to soft drinks or anything else that can be harmful to the body.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Substituting one addiction with another is nit good at all, but you should leave him alone for the moment. Let him quit in the way he knows it works the best for him, and you'll take measures regarding Cola consumption afterwards, if you have to. It's important that he does his best to get rid of the alcohol and that he realized he has a problem.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There are two people I know who consume at least on liter of fizzy drinks reach day, those drinks containing caffeine (usually coca cola). Out of those two people, they are both overweight, one of them has had a mini heart attack and the other one has Irritable Bowel Syndrome and currently has other stomach problems. It's definitely not good. The thing I would be worried about the most is probably blood sugar levels and, of course, caffeine intoxication. Many people, however, have turned to energy drinks instead. Obviously, they're not that good for your health either but you don't need to drink anywhere near as high a volume.