An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Soma Addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by GettingBetter, Nov 19, 2015.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I don't think this is covered in other categories here, Soma is a very powerful muscle relaxant and CNS depressant I am starting to hear people talk about abusing. Do you know of anyone who abuses Soma?

I have no idea about resources for this type of addiction, not sure if it is similar to any major classes but I am starting to worry about a few people. Anyone know anything or have any info on Soma?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I haven't heard anything about this either. But one thing I know is that abusing muscle relaxers sounds like a bad idea. Muscle relaxers are really something I wouldn't use in the first place. There probably aren't many resources about this because a lot of people don't do this. I think if this becomes a epidemic resources may start popping up.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't know of anyone who uses soma, but this link might help you: www.dependency.net/learn/soma/ it seems like it's just used to heighten the effect of other drugs, and it's not addictive per se.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read something about Soma but I am aware that there are muscle relaxant out there. If this is over the counter, there could be higher chances of people getting addicted to it since they can easily buy it on drug stores.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard of muscle relaxers before, just not any particular brand. There maybe a chance that the amount of people abusing this drug is actually under reported. As more people began speaking more about this hopefully more resources will be available. Thanks for bringing this up.
  6. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

Oh man, my ex boyfriend is addicted to these things. It's so scary to see him high on them. He doses off, I practically have to carry him around after shooting them. I know he shoots them & snorts them. Either way, I think they are super dangerous.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Abusing any kind of controlled med is very dangerous :( I hope the person you are worried about, OP, seeks help soon. An overdose with a controlled medication is very dangerous, I had one twice. I almost don't come back... I was lucky, but some people aren't.
  8. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

The first time I heard about soma was in a song by The Strokes. It is called Soma and it came out about 10 years ago. I wonder if they were talking about the same thing. How do people even get this type of drug without a doctor noticing that they are abusing it?
  9. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I have not heard anything about this but I can well imagine that abusing muscle relaxers would be very bad indeed. I have had to use muscle relaxers for medical reasons and have never gotten addicted to them. But I can see how someone would like the feeling of them and could abuse them. I would think that it would be bad for your internal organs especially your heart to abuse them. I hope that there becomes ways to help people who are addicted to them before it is too late.
  10. PlantWaterer

PlantWaterer Member

Carisoprodol (Soma) is by far the most euphoric muscle relaxer and is physically addictive as well. A significant amount of carisoprodol is metabolized to meprobamate (Miltown, Equanil), a known drug of abuse that was a hugely popular “minor tranquilizer” in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. By 1970 it had became a Schedule IV controlled substance after the discovery that it caused physical and psychological dependence. Why carisoprodol remained federally uncontrolled until 2012 is a mystery, given its similarity to meprobamate and especially its reputation as an excellent opioid potentiator.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener