An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Some Chronic Pain Patients Can't Get Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by deanokat, Aug 6, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

This is an interesting problem that has grown out of the crackdown on the illicit use of prescription drugs. People who need painkillers like oxycodone can't get them because the number of pills a pharmacy can get is being limited. This is one reason why chronic pain sufferers sometimes turn to the streets for their meds. Here's a link to the article by the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids:

Some Chronic Pain Patients Say They Have Trouble Obtaining Painkillers

Have any chronic pain patients in this forum run into this problem? If so, how do you deal with it?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is alarming and sad for those who really needs the stronger type of medication.
    In here, it is not that strict and there are lots of generic drugs. There will be no much problems too buying prescribed medicines.
  3. shenika

shenika Member

this is indeed a sad situation since they are a lot of people abusing these drugs and the patients that are actually indeed of it cant access it, it is even move sad that people are dying from abusing these drugs.
  4. Liv6

Liv6 Member

This is where the supporters of medical marijuana to treat chronic pain would hop on this topic. While it is alarming that these people who are in need of the prescription medications to help ease their pain, it also can be addictive for them as well, not just for those who are scamming their way into getting these drugs without having any outlying health problems that require them. I think that prescription drugs probably do need to be phased out in favor for alternate, healthier options, but in the meantime, this issue needs to be addressed. I was unaware that there was a limit for pain medication; I think that this limit was probably placed for those who would otherwise abuse the drugs, but it has obviously backfired. I'm interested to see if the government will intervene in this situation.
  5. I am HUGE supporter of medical marijuana. At the age of 17, I was diagnosed with a ton of illnesses, chronic pain has been a huge issue in my life ever since. I was started on painkillers at that age and was quickly addicted. Even taking them as prescribed. I have since been 5 years clean off of opiates, due to medical marijuana. Not only has it helped my chronic pain immensely, I don't need most of my other prescription medications, as well, even the non-pain meds. Unfortunately, due to living in a non-legal state, and some current court issues, I have had to stop with medical marijuana and within a month went from zero prescriptions and not having been to the hospital in over 2 years. To 2 trips to the ER, one due to an allergic reaction to medication and I'm currently prescribed 7 medications, with more on the way. =( My heart goes out to all chronic pain sufferers.
  6. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

At one time in my life I abused pain medications. Now, some years later I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Even though I know I won't abuse the medication again, I can't get any medication for the pain. It got so bad at one point that it put me in a psychiatric hospital because I was suicidal due to pain. I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ended up in a similar situation?
  7. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

It's very sad. I've seen instances where this has occurred. A family member had a major back surgery over a year ago and had to go to 8 different pharmacies before being able to find the pain killers he needed. Even chain pharmacies are not allowed to tell you which of their other pharmacies in the area have the medication. I don't know if it's a law thing or fear of someone robbing them.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is really unfortunate, there are some people who need this. When people abuse prescription meds it really makes it hard for people who need them. It's really dangerous to abuse these things in the first place. I think that it's never a good thing to deny people something they actually need. Still pharmacies have to be careful about how they deal with these addictive drugs also.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I can't imagine living life with that kind of pain but then have no way to get my prescription. Im an asthmatic and I can't imagine when abusing inhalers get to the point where they start restrictions on who can get it. Obviously there are alternative things you can do but the key is that you have to know about safe alternatives to begin with.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I also agree that medical marijuana could be an excellent solution to this problem. I don't think that smoking it should be condoned either though. It could be used to make painkiller pills. My ex-partner suffers with chronic pain due to fibromyalgia. She was prescribed amytrypaline which are supposed to help her sleep and relieve pain slightly and co-codamol for when the pain is too much to handle.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Pain medications are available over the counter in most countries. Drugs like Cymbalta, Lyrica and Tapentadol are available under supervision from a qualified medical practitioner. Relying on pain medication alone it not healthy since there are many alternative therapies and lifestyle adjustments one can make for example the the U Comfort pillow to prevent neck pain at night. Another example is recording ones activities and food intake in a lifestyle journal to identify the pain triggers.
  12. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

In my opinion this is a serious issue. Patients that require a higher dose should be able to at least take some tests to see if they qualify or not.