An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Some words for you and me...

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by trevermorgana, May 20, 2015.

1. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I have a poster up on my wall with this quote. I think it has a different meaning for everyone which makes it even more powerful. It will sound a bit dark but really dig in to it.

“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.” - Mark Z. Danielewski (House of leaves)

imperivm1 likes this.
  2. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Anything that gets you up and running is good. Passion has everything to do with patience. How very true! Your resolve should get toughened as the going gets tough. These may be classified as power phrases that prop you up. They've a profound effect on how we think and act.
    trevermorgana likes this.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Most of the time, people misunderstand what passion really means. I think this quote clearly defines passion. Passion yields hope and the urge to do more. It helps a person to give his best. For example, if you have seen the movie 'Whiplash', you would understand what passion means. The protagonist decides to learn a drums routine but he wasn't able to achieve what he wanted. He tried and tried until his fingers bled and then, he finally did it. This is called passion.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I find this really intriguing. The meaning of "passion" has evolved from suffering to a strong desire perhaps because there is an intrinsic correlation between the two. On some deep level suffering and desire are probably two manifestations of the same thing. We won't be able to feel until we've known what pain is. Quite interesting, indeed.
  5. trevermorgana

The last sequence in Whiplash had me in tears. A very beautiful film and I agree it shows exactly what passion truly is.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Great information. I like to look at etymology myself to find the real meaning of words and I think this is spot on. After using certain words for so long they usually tend to lose a bit of their meaning or it changes completely, so it's important to keep track of what they really are meant as so you know what you are really saying, both to yourself and to others.
  7. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Most of the time, humans must learn to embrace hunger, poverty and rock bottom situations. It is in those broken and contrite mind and soul - "passionless hopeless" condition that we, called our cannot-be-broken spirit, are able to see (internalize) our desperate need for life to be alive.
  8. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

That's a really nice quote. I like that a lot. It makes you think...
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The implication of that quote: suffering is a prerequisite to achieving your dreams. When you have passion for a particular undertaking, you're willing to endure anything just so you'll get to where you want to be.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Thank you for your interpretation. The quote is powerful.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve been meaning to read that book and this post really spurs me to do it. Very interesting quote, and the more I think about it, the more it resonates with me. Makes more sense that "passion" comes from a root meaning suffering; I'm sure most people who've ever achieved anything have endured quite a lot of suffering to get to that point. Puts things in perspective for me.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you. That would also be my opinion. If you badly want to achieve something, you have to work hard for it first.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

When I take a look at all my best accomplishments, not one of them was just handed to me. My children, sobriety, my relationship, nothing. I don't consider anything handed to me an accomplishment, and there's no passion involved.
  14. trevermorgana

Read it. It is a masterpiece. Forget everything you have heard about it before. At its center is a very human story about loss, regrets, redemption, and I'm not talking about something clear cut you read. That's the story hidden within the words. Trust me it is worth your time so give it a chance because you won't regret it. I made a poster out of that quote but I have two more that contain the same amount of power under a different context. That's the power the book has over me.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Maybe there is some truth there. If you suffer, for how long? You can have patience if the passion comes from euphoria. Endurance, now isn't that the truth.
    Patience the quote says is suffering. Not quite. Patience is the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, OR suffering without getting angry or upset.
    Whether it is patience or passion. Passion as in the passion of christ, is the suffering and death of jesus. Passion in the first definition is perhaps an intense desire. Passion is not to suffer, unless you are sadistic or being nailed to a cross.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a really interesting quote and it definitely makes me reflect on the way I look at the world. Sometimes I see people who are passionate about things, and think they have it easy - I never thought about the personal struggle and endurance they put into their passions in life until you mentioned this quote!
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It does seem to be a bane if we "suffer" in the form of waiting, but if we stick with our goal and persevere, then the waiting will all be worth it. Nice quote. A bit cryptic, but inspiring.