An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Someone who helped me

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by DoxyMom, Dec 16, 2019.

1. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

When I first started at the clinic I talked to this girl who was very nice. She told me getting sober was up to me I had to want it bad enough to stop and stay that way. At the time my dose wasn't stable so I kind of blew her off. A few months in she moved to Florida. She was down there for the summer but she has since moved back. I see her every now and then. Today I told another girl in my group that she was responsible for helping me get clean. Her words stayed with me and once I was able to get stable I'm clean on methadone for 9 months now. The ironic thing is that she can't stay clean herself. She is compliant with services but still using. I need to remind her of what she told me.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

Is this a metaphor?Or real?
  3. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

No it's real. I thought at the time it can't be that easy or that hard. But it is exactly that. Once you finally make up your mind to stop you will. I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing. Then I thought to myself I want and need to stop. Being at the clinic, I had to get stable. Once that happened I was on the road to recovery. Going to group and one on one counseling helped but the power to quit is inside us.
    True concern and Onceaddicted77 like this.