An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Something positive

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by DoxyMom, May 23, 2019.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing that, @DoxyMom. I totally get how going to that area could give you anxiety. Maybe don't give that guy a ride home anymore, huh? ;)

At least you didn't have the urge to use, right? That's a WONDERFUL thing! And you're right: You did a good deed. I'm glad you took the $5.00, too. That's how this guy wanted to express his gratitude, and it's nice that you let him. In the past, I've often shrugged off people's efforts to thank me for stuff I've done for them. "No big deal," I'd say. Or, "Don't mention it." Or, "Keep the money, it's okay." But then I read something from my favorite author (and spirit animal) that made me change my ways:

"I make myself accept gratitude. I look people in the eye, and say gently, 'You’re really welcome.' I might touch their cheeks with the backs of my fingers. This simple habit has changed me." ~Anne Lamott

You're good people, @DoxyMom! :)
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

I just felt bad taking more money from him after his so called friend kind of ripped him off. But I understand what you mean and that makes sense. As for giving him a ride he has other people to do it and I'm sure it's a one time thing. There are
    People there I would never give a ride to as they would expect it all the time.
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@DoxyMom glad you got through that alright! i never heard "go to cop" before. haha. but i figured out what it meant. anyway, great for doing a good deed... wouldn't make a habit of that. stinks for that fellow though. bless it.

hope you are having a good morning and have a beautiful day!!

always love seeing your beautiful smile in your profile pic!
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  4. DoxyMom

@Dominica right back at you! You don't know some of these terms because you weren't a drug addict. This is how we learn, lol.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

How do I un-learn stuff i learned as a drug addict?
    That's what i wanna know....
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  6. DoxyMom

Because of my age and forgetting things I've always said I wish I had a delete button to make room for more things.
    deanokat likes this.