An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sometimes I just...

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Parassd, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

Sometimes I just feel like buying and smoking a cigarette because of excess of stress. I used to smoke a year ago, but lately I have these urges to smoke. Sometimes the battle between my willpower and desire is won b the former. But sometimes I succumb to my desires and do end up smoking. But the smoke feels like it's ripping my chest apart every time I take a drag. I end up coughing and throwing away the cigarette half way. Is this normal, is smoking sometimes okay?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think if you're already feeling discomfort and pain then it might be best to stay away from it altogether. If you would like an alternative then try looking into vaping which isn't as harsh on your lungs and doesn't contain the chemicals and tar that cigarettes have. It would be best to consult with a doctor first of course.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think that it's normal to have the urge to smoke especially since you used to be a smoker. I would stay away from it though if it gave me terrible chest pains and a cough... try and substitute it with something else, maybe focus your energy on other things when you feel the urge coming! I don't know much about what Charli has advised but I agree that consulting a doctor first is always best.
    Good luck with that.
  4. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

Focusing my energy is one thing that I don't really know how to. What do people generally do to channel their energy into something else?
  5. Plus

Plus Member

I often times get the urge to light up a cigarette as well, any time I have tried to take a few drags I end up with the same result. I end up coughing and feeling like I have water stuck in my throat, which concerns me enough to put it out and forget about it. Usually it leaves me more stressed than I would have been otherwise, haha.

As for channeling your energy into something else I think she means something like doodling on a paper or perhaps even watching a youtube video, whatever strikes your mood and gets your mind off of it. I took up writing and drawing during the cravings and it really helped me, although I'm sure not everyone enjoys these things as I do.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is normal to have urges years after you quit smoking, but you have to remember that it is just your mind playing with you as the physical addiction has left your body. Take a walk or find another outlet for your mind and the urges will pass.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's just your mind playing tricks on you. Whilst you are not addicted anymore, your brain hasn't yet broken the association between stress relief and smoking. Try and find some new coping strategies or look at ways in which you can reduce the stress in your life.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If you think about it, the average person smokes about 20 cigarettes a day. If you multiply that over a course of a year, you are looking at over 6000 cigarettes. That is a hard habit for your body to break if you have done something over 6000 times. Like Missbishi said, your brain is only playing games with you because after that long of not smoking, you are not addicted any longer physically. I just tell my brain to "shut up" when it tries to convince me that I need to smoke.
  9. piez

piez Member

I believe the reason why you have those problems is because you quit for so long. Your body fixed itself and when you go to smoke again it's almost like a new thing to your body. Kind of like it's your first time all over again.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I think it is best not to give in to your temptations occasionally because there is always the possibility of it leading to relapse. Perhaps when you feel like this you should think back to the reasons why you stopped and embrace them. Perhaps having someone to turn to would help, another quitter can be your partner in battling the cravings to smoke.