An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sought through prayer and meditation...

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by medievalmama, Mar 6, 2015.

1. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I have found there are as many conceptions of a Higher Power as there are people on the planet. Our 11th step says "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious connection with God, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out." So my question to all of you is: what do you do on a daily basis to keep that connection.
  2. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

My favorite color: For a while I was having a terrible time just remembering to pray or think about God as I went through my day. My sponsor asked me what my favorite color was. Green. She suggested that every time I see the color green, I think about my Higher Power. It helped me get back into the habit of thinking of my Higher Power and working to improve that conscious contact.
    Tiffany likes this.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's no clear-cut answer to this. For me, prayer and faith are personal undertakings. Thus, they differ from one person to another. Do not be too worried about the "how." Do you want to form a relationship with God? Then do so by all means. Nothing should be stopping you.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I want to communicate with a higher consciousness, I take myself off to a quiet place for a while where I know that I won't get disturbed. I like to sit under a tree and just observe the countryside around me and be quiet. I also like sitting near water, be it a lake, river, tiny stream or the ocean. Water always has a cleansing and centering effect on me.
    And last, but not least, I love swimming in clear, deep water and feel at peace with everything, especially myself.
    medievalmama likes this.
  5. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

In my early sobriety my higher power changed almost daily. It was trees, then birds, then food, then trees again, then the moon, and many other tangible objects. I wasn't being open minded enough to believe in something I couldn't see, touch, or feel as many of us are. But I kept following direction, working the steps and continuously asking myself "is it possible". Today I am 7 months sober and I have a great relationship with my higher power which, to me, is the creator of the universe.
    If it keeps you sober that's all that matters.