An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Speak positively when you talk to yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think there is a book with a similar title, written by Dr. Phil maybe? I can't remember. Anyway, it's true that it can become a very bad habit to say or think negative things to yourself. I believe it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, so say good things.

Also, something my mother told me: Don't just say, "I want to do better," or something like that. Say, "I will do better," or "I know I can do better."
    stariie likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Positive talk definitely can have a positive effect on you. It's believed that one attracts whatever is on their mind towards them. If for example, you have this negatives thoughts that you can't do something, you'll end being a failure because your mind already accepted the fact that you can't make it. However if on the other hand your are optimistic, even if you fail once, the belief that you can do better will compel you to get up and keep fighting until you win.

Positive thoughts = Positive Attitude = Victory in any pursuit.
    stariie and Zyni like this.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yes! Even if you don't believe you can do something right now, giving yourself the potential to makes a huge difference. After all, if you don't think you can make it, you never will. So by pushing yourself to believe in yourself, you are already a step ahead. Defeat is never your final state, unless you deem it so!
  4. We have been in war for a while now. Some time ago I quit counting the days were been under siege; it was depressing me. The Army came by and took all our food a few days ago. They said communism is about sharing everything with your neighbors. That also means that they took over all the rice fields too.
  5. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I totally agree with you. I practice positive self-talk on a daily basis. It is so important to validate yourself, so that you do not feel as though you need to seek validation from others. I have never actually done the mirror exercises by saying positive things to myself, but whenever I am feeling anxious or down, I always try to take myself out of the slump or anxiety by thinking positively.

It is amazing how quickly our attitudes can change when we give positive things more attention than negative things. It is absolutely true that if you wake up wanting to have a positive day, and telling yourself that you WILL have a positive day, then you will. It is all about attitude, and that is so important in not only recovery, but leading a productive and healthy life in general!
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I agree you should speak positively to yourself. It's something I have been working at as I need to stop putting myself down. Self talk is empowering. We shouldn't wait around hoping for others to see the good in us and hope they lift us up.Validate ourselves. It starts with us. Positive self talk does miracles.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Think positive and happy thoughts, and it will reflect on your attitude and personality. Even if you think you cannot do certain things, just believe and have faith that it's possible. :):)
    Zyni likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. In a life when even the closest people you have sometimes can't tell you even once of how valuable you really are, for one reason or another, you have to be able to rise up from that cycle and learn to know and speak of how you value yourself, not only for your own well being but also for your future generations.
    Zyni likes this.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I know it's not all sunshine and lollipops. Positive thinking isn't the cure all for every ill, at least not on its own. Yet, it is still important to change negative attitudes. When a thought creeps in like, "Of course I messed up," or "that figures, nothing ever goes right," I try to capture that thought and replace it with something positive. "Well, that didn't work out but I will do better next time."
    Winterybella and stariie like this.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I totally agree with the concept that you manifest your own reality. So, if you are constantly thinking negative, you will only bring negativity to your life. It is important to try to flush out the negative thoughts and think positive so that you may create that in your reality.
    stariie likes this.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

Being optimistic does a lot of things while being pessimistic does everything to pull you down to your knees and to your subsequent downfall. Being pessimistic does not good. It in fact makes things far worse, so never let yourself be clouded by your own negative thoughts. Stay positive and in many ways you can do, among the most effective is by talking positively to yourself.
    stariie likes this.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is just like being a positive thinker. ;)
    "Learning to love yourself, is the greatest love of all" I know most of us are familiar with this line in a song and I agree on it. I believe that we should learn to love ourselves in order for us to spread the love to others. Thinking positively about ourselves could help us be motivated on moving forward for the better.
    Zyni and stariie like this.
  13. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I totally agree with you here about not waiting for others to see the good in us. We might be waiting a long time. Waiting to get validation from another person gives them waaaay too much power over our over-all well being.

I mean of course it's nice if others say good things about us, but for the most part, we should not be dependent on their positive feedback. They've got their own stuff going on, and may not have time to be our cheerleader. Or, maybe they secretly don't want to see the good in us, you never know with some people.

It's up to us to do for ourselves, not only financially, but emotionally as well.
    Zyni likes this.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

There is a poem by Walter D. Wintle called "Thinking" (Believe...) that starts off "If you think you are beaten, you are..."
    This is a fabulous poem that talks about what you think of yourself is how you are.

Your thoughts are you, so those thoughts need to be productive and up-lifting. There are already so many factors and people in this world that try to bring us down because their thoughts are negative, so it is up to us to think positive to combat all that negativity.

I try to think about the good in things. Even in bad situations I want to wring the lesson out of the situation, like "What did I learn, how could I do better, what is the lesson that's in this?"

I like thinking positive thoughts, and I like being around positive people who think the same way. Being around a negative thinking person can drag your whole day down, and put you in a place both mentally and physically where you don't want to be.
    Zyni and Rainman like this.
  15. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I'm trying to become a positive person. Being negative only brought me sadness. I don't think just the words and thoughts manifest itself into reality. However positive thinking and speaking boosts our confidence and outlook on situations. If we focus on the negative like I have been doing it is tiring. It takes the fun out of things and it leads to depression. Trying to reprogram my thought and outlook so far I'm more relaxed and energized. I hope my situation will also improve.
  16. Linno

Linno Member

It's such an important thing to be kinder to ourselves but yes we take it for granted so easily. It's good to have a reminder that we need to be more aware of our self-talk. We are all capable enough of dealing with our problems, we just need to work on our confidence and mental strength to battle them. I like to try working on accepting myself unconditionally. I find if I am giving myself negative self-talk that it helps to remind myself that I am not a bad person...it's just my actions that might be bad. And I can work on those. We are human and have failings but we have it within us to improve, so why not be our own cheerleader.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Has anyone read the book the "Secret" about mind power really. If you can wish or dream it then it can happen!! It is absolutely true, being positive can change an entire lifetime and your course could be completely different if you believe in yourself and you wake up knowing that the day is going to be good. Positive energy goes a long way and it will definitely make things better for you.
  18. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

This is great advice. We are our biggest supporters and out biggest fans! The first thing we need to always do is love ourselves without limits.

Positive thinking is a must. This will shield you from losing your footing and letting you take what people say about you seriously and literally! You end up being strong without the need to prove yourself to anybody.
  19. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes very true!! We are the force to be reckoned with inside of each and every single one of us is a worrier and we can chose to stand tall and push forward but it is up to us to make that change!!
    elles-belles likes this.
  20. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Positively but realistically. This reminds me everyday to look at things positively even through times when I can't even breathe properly from all the problems I have. That things will be alright as long as I can meet every bad situation head on and solve it the best way I can.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015