An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sports helps us to get out off from drugs addiction

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by thisizznaveen, May 20, 2015.

1. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Can you all think sports help us to get out from drug addiction?

In my opinion , we get in these addiction due to tension or due to freeness . If we start to spend our free time in sports, we are able to get out off it.

Tell your opinions
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@thisizznaveen... Any kind of physical activity, including sports, is a great way to rid your body of stress and tension. Walking, running, yoga, bicycling, etc. all get our bodies natural endorphins flowing from our brains. Exercise is a great substitute for drugs and is instrumental in recovery. A natural high is so much better than an artificial one!
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sports, especially the competitive sort can be great at motivating someone to stay stay fit [and that would mean letting go of drugs] so they can win. Since a lot of time is spent "training," exercising and playing, there'll be little left to think about drugs. So, yes, one can replace drugs with sport and derive more pleasure from it.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Any form of physical activity is beneficial. You just need to keep your routine, set goals and strive to achieve them. Doing things half-heartedly won't get you anywhere. It's all about persistence. Your addiction will gradually start to fade away once you're past that point.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Sport can certainly be a beneficial factor in recovery, there's no doubt about that. Obviously, it's not a "cure-all" but it can go a long way towards increasing wellneses in so many ways.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Twenty-five years ago, when I finally decided to quit smoking cigarettes once and for all, I started biking. Whenever I felt a craving for a cigarette coming on, I would hop on my bike and ride for a couple of miles. That exercise killed my craving for nicotine. I think biking played a key role in my ability to finally quit smoking after many tries. I highly recommend it. It's not an expensive activity, it's not hard on your body, and it's great exercise.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This has been addressed in several ways in the forum and the results are always the same: sports of one kind or the other can have a positive effect on recovery addicts. Like Missibishi said, it might not be a "cure all" but it goes a long way towards contributing to a person's wellness.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

Instead of being idle, we can go sporting with our friends. A part from exercising, we avoid stressing ourselves and avoid unwanted companies. By being busy somewhere we do not get the time to think about drugs. It is true that an idle mind is the devil's workshop. We gain experience while playing the games we love most and this can make one earn money by attending competitions. We can also go for sports to raise funds for a cause instead of going to drink or take drugs.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

During summer, politicians in our place launch their summer activities headed by sports league - basketball is the most popular - to be participated in by kids and adults as well. One spiel I have from a city councilor was about sports overshadowing the drug habit. He knows and everyone knows that drugs is prevalent in our place.

An addict intimated to me once that summer is a slow time for the drug business because most addicts are players in the league and players have to sleep early and wake up early... leaving them no time to indulge in drugs.
  10. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

I suggest you try boxing as a sport. I am drawn to boxing as a sport because it is a sport that values self improvement. It is a sport that pushes you to the limit physically and mentally. The only thing that keeps you going is the discipline that is required from the sport and that discipline will carry over to problems with drugs.
  11. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

I agree that sports can be a great way to release tension, feel more self-sufficent, and become more diciplined. However, I would advise you to stay away from more competitive sports, as the inevitable losses can lead to negative feelings re-surfacing again. Biking, hiking or swimming would be my suggestions for anyone with a substance abuse problem.
    Corzhens and deanokat like this.
  12. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Physical activity, especially sports, can be a great way to get over an addiction. However, it's only a part of the puzzle, and exercise alone will not beat an addiction for most people. It's something that everyone can benefit from to varying degrees, though. I'd have to recommend it to anyone that's trying to recover from substance abuse, but not everyone is healthy enough to engage in sports.
  13. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

One neighbor who got hooked on drugs was weaned from his vice by diverting his mind to swimming. He had a complete gear, from swimming trunks to snorkels and fins. His swimming is for fun, joined by his clean friends. He continued his studies but regularly goes swimming. And lately, he seemed to have fully recovered but his hobby remains simply because he is enjoying it.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I definitely think physical activity, including sports, can be a major aid to recovering from an addiction. You can get a natural, much healthier high from it. I think individual sports are great for getting back in touch with oneself. And if you need new friends, which is often the case in recovery, trying a team sport could be a good way to meet people, so long as you try to be casual about the competition factor.