An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Spouse in rehab

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Kash128, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Kash128

Kash128 Member

My husband admitted himself into a 30 day out of state drug and alcohol rehab he’s been gone a little over two weeks I’ve heard from him once and it was for about two minutes and all he did was cry is this normal I’m just lost
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  2. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

without more info id say it is possible that its extremely normal. or it might not be, can u give us a little more info so we can help you better?
    Davers and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  3. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

If you are asking if not hearing from him much is normal, yes it is. He may not be allowed to call. If you are asking about the crying, he is feeling for the first time since he started using and it's overwhelming. He is where he needs to be. It might be good for you to attend therapy or ALANON while he is gone so you can learn about his addiction and how to treat him.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

I agree 100% with @DoxyMom ,yes its normal.His active addiction caused him to perhaps do and say thing's the sober him would never do or say.He is feeling all the pain he caused while using for the first time,he is remembering the looks of disappointment, the tears,the hurt he caused people he loves for the first time.While using we can turn the emotion off and careless and as we get sober when we are truly giving it our all we wish we could take those thing's back but we know we can't and so we hurt and cry perhaps just as much or maybe even more than the people we let down as they usually get numb to it after awhile,not saying it doesn't hurt them but they learn to block it out as best they can and in many case's learn to move on,now the addict (you're husband)is unnumbing himself and feeling all the hurt and pain he caused all at once,this is why a therapist is so absolutely necessary. He is in the right place for sure,give him time to learn to deal and remember how to feel again.
    Stay Strong and God Bless you Both
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

I really do agree, tend to anyway. And with you @DoxyMom ...
    But I am afraid to say yes everything's normal on such little info. But I know I can picture me doing the same thing and im,there happy and mostly healthy today to type this. I do wonder if he went because he wanted to or if there were health problems that made him go. That's my only concern.
    Davers and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  6. Davers

Davers Community Champion

Prayers for you and yours and may this time go by as stress free & quickly as possible.
  7. HeidyD

HeidyD Member

I agree, too. It is normal not to have much information from them. But here I have a question how didn't you noticed this during this time? I have a friend who's father was an alcoholic. From the beginning, he was telling them that this is normal to drink some glasses and something like that. With time they noticed his problem and started to look for help. They found these guys https://www.abbeycarefoundation.com/rehab/cardiff/ and asked them for help. This is a reliability center where he received the best help ever, even his family couldn't help him, but they did. So Try to call them, they are professionals and can tell you more about his problem.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020