An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stained fingers?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Having grown up with a grandmother who smoked cigarettes daily, I got used to seeing fingers with tobacco stains. I imagine I thought the yellowing of her fingers was just part of aging, and it wasn't 'til I was older that I figured out the cigarettes were to blame. I've noticed lately, though, that not so many people seem to sport the same stains. Is this something to do with, uh, 'advances' in cigarette technology? Or am I just not hanging out with heavy smokers anymore?

And while we're on the subject, I suppose, does anyone here have stained fingers? Have you found ways to get rid of the stains?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yep, there have been plenty of times when I have ended up with nicotine stains on my fingers. More so when I drank alcohol because I would tend to smoke more. I did find that rolling tobacco was much worse for causing nicotine stains than conventional cigarettes were.

I also found that certain brands of tobacco were worse for it than others. I guess it's to do with the nicotine content in whatever brand you choose to smoke. What I do know is that more people are smoking rolling tobacco these days due to the rising and now ridiculous cost of traditional cigarettes. Maybe that's why you're seeing more people with stains on their fingers?
  3. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I have been a smoker for years, and as far as I know I haven't had stained fingers. I remember my mother having stained fingers though, she used to rub them with toothpaste and it did a really good job. I would also try baking soda, that is my go to for cleaning though things and it is natural. I would soak my fingers in it for awhile, and then scrub with it.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Roll-ups and joints are worse offenders than cigarettes. Maybe cigarette manufacturers are using a paper which reduces the chances of staining these days?

Anyhow, when I smoked, my go to was baking soda too. It's also great at removing stains from teeth.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was a heavy smoker in the past and my fingers which I held the cigarettes in between were often yellowed. I assumed it was because I had a really sensitive skin, but at the same time I was also smoking poor quality cigarettes. Most likely, it depends on the brand and the material from which the filter is made.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

like it has been said before, it really depends on the cigarettes. Normally when I have stained fingers I use a mixture of bleach, clothes soap and a little hot water. With the help of a brush or scrapping stone your hands will become brand new.
  7. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Regular cigarettes never stained my fingers, but every time I bought rolling tobacco and rolled my own cigarettes I used to have this problem after only 1 week. It always go away after switching back to regular cigarettes though, so it has never been a real issue for me.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think most heavy smokers will have experienced some sort of staining to the fingers during their life, as I have, but as others have already said, it's not that hard to get off.

A nail brush, soap and hot water always worked for me, so just because a person doesn't have stained fingers, doesn't necessarily mean they're not heavy smokers.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

It's weird that for a long time smoker, such as me, I've never gotten finger stains. My teeth aren't yellow either. I guess you need to smoke more than a pack a day to get all that yellow stuff on you. I've seen smokers with those yellow stains, and I must say it looks disgusting.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

As a non-smoker, I don't have to deal with stained fingers. I have a few relatives that smoke but they don't seem to suffer from stained fingers either.

Back in my college days, I did notice some guys having severely stained fingers but they were also not the most hygienic types. They would smoke regularly and guzzle beer like there was no tomorrow, they would always look scruffy when attending classes.

I think it's really a matter of hygiene and taking care of one's appearance.
  11. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

Yeah I've noticed that as well in people who smoke. Most of my family are all smokers, so I see it quite often. If it does that to the outside of your body, just imagine what it's doing on the inside. It's pretty crazy to think about actually. I've tried smoking before because I was young and I thought that it would make me cool if I did. I soon found out that it didn't and it tasted awful and made me feel horrible. I don't see how anyone could enjoy smoking to be perfectly honest. It burns your throat when you inhale the smoke. Why would you want to do that? Even when I was doing it, I could tell that it was doing horrible things to my body. Don't smoke. It's a horrible habit.
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I never thought about it, but you're right. I don't see nearly as many people with yellow staining on their hands. I wonder if this has something to do with smoking outside. As a child, I remember it being more acceptable for people to smoke indoors. Now it is more encouraged for people to seclude themselves outside, especially since we are more aware of secondhand smoking.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have never heard of peoples fingers staining from smoking before. The cause of this could be certain chemicals in the cigarettes you buy. When I used to smoke I never had this problem. The brand may make a difference or it could be that every persons body has a different reaction to nicotine. Either way this is something I never experienced.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I used to smoke briefly but I got rid of the addiction quick a long time ago, and I didn't have issues regarding stained fingers. I smoked pretty irregularly so probably that was the case.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I never had the finger staining, I think most likely because I was only a smoker for a period of a few years. I'm sure if it was longer term than that it would have happened. I guess it makes sense that it would happen to your skin, I know a few long term smokers that have yellowed teeth from it too so I'm not surprised it'd happen to skin, too.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sounds like they didn't wash their hands. Smoking does sometimes stain the finger nails and hands. You've got to smoke quite a bit to have that happen. I have a relative that use to smoke a ton and her fingernails were always white. Its called soap and water. Lol some people. Scrub them. A little lemon juice or anything that will whiten. The smell of it on the skin is just so potent. You've got to be bathing in it to have it stain your skin that way.
  17. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi, I'm a smoker, and I've never had stained or yellow fingers. I have noticed yellow fingers on some of my friends' fingers, and that's due to smoking marijuana or rolled up cigarettes. I guess maybe tobacco companies are making cigarettes better than they used to. Maybe they are trying to keep cigarettes cool.
  18. Fillit

Fillit Member

When i smoked and rolled my own cigs, i would get stains on my fingernails and the skin around as well, but these would disappear after a couple of weeks if i switched to standard camel smokes. What causes the pigmentation is the proximity of your fingers to lit edge of cig, with roll-ups its much closer, to the point where you can even burn yourself taking in the lasts few drags, while as in with normal smokes you would need to smoke half a filter to get anywhere as close. So that's part of the reason i think. And yeah it looked nasty.
  19. hwarren

hwarren Member

I have also been a tobacco smoker since I was 14. It's horrible and I really want to give it up but one thing at a time. I have stained fingers and although the nail polish covers up my nails underneath they are a horrible color. On top of that my hands always smell like smoke and I'm sure it's not pleasant even though I'm used to it. Lemon juice and baking soda is a great tip which actually takes away the smell as well.

It could be down to the tobacco or cigarettes you smoke but I'm sure the smell and staining is in my bones and under my skin too - it's a horrible thought but true.
  20. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

Before I quit smoking, I noticed I would have periods of yellow stains on my fingers and nails but it was never consistent. I always smoked the same brand of cigarettes so I'm not sure if I was just smoking more during those times or what.

To get rid of these stains, I would apply a homemade paste of lemon juice and baking soda to my fingers for about 15 minutes and then rinse off. It didn't remove the yellow color completely, but it definitely made it less noticeable.