An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stained fingers?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SLTE, Oct 30, 2015.

1. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Yep, used to have those, too. But they weren't the worst part of the whole situation. Nicotine stains on teeth were even worse, and if I put the gums decolouring as well... it would make it even worse. It took me a long time to whiten my teeth once again, like they were before starting to smoke.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, as far as I know people who have been cigarettes for a while might get yellow and clubbed fingers, those two signs are actually a big red alert. Specially the clubbed fingers. I am actually worried because my fiance's fingers look kind of clubbed already :( He has no yellow fingers yet though.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I remember being in the house of a friend's relative who smoked, and you could see on the ceiling above where the relative sat that the plaster and paint had turned from white to yellow. It was such a shocking image that it put me off smoking anything for the rest of my life. Sadly I've had other addictions, but luckily anything that required being smoked was never one of them.
  4. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Both of my parents are smokers but none of them has stained fingers, maybe it has to do with the cigarette brand that people use? I'm not so sure about that to be honest.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't smoke anymore, but when I used to I never had that problem because I don't smoke a lot, and it was just occasional. My bro smokes heavily, but I don't seem to see any stains in his fingers.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

I think times are changing and fewer people smoke, so you are encountering healthier individuals who know the consequences of smoking. Nothing about cigarettes have changed. They are still bad for you and they will stain your fingers as well as you teeth if you are regular smoker. They will also make you age faster and cause your skin to look very unhealthy.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yeah, just one of the lovely side effects of smoking. Don't forget the burnt clothing and stained teeth. They are all part of the loveliness of smoking. They are just all part of the same game. It is one of the things that smokes have to deal with. I know..I have had some of them happen to me.
  8. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

After having changed cigarette brands I noticed that I started to get stained fingers. The quantity and brand of tobacco do play a role in this. I think the best way to avoid this is to stop smoking.
  9. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

I've had stains but only when I had acrylic fingernails. Otherwise as long as I wash my hands I've noticed no staining.
  10. Joethefirst

I had the same thing but after changing brands I noticed that I would always have stained fingers. I think it has to do with the actual tobacco itself and how it's made.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, could be. I remember I started smoking black tobacco because I've read it's less harmful than blonde. The cigarette butts I left in the ashtrays stunk up my place so much, I had to quit them right away. I went right back to blonde.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I've noticed odors on my fingers after smoking, but never staining - and I've been smoking for over 20 years. Do you happen to know what types of cigarettes she was smoking? Were they non-filtered or hand rolled without a filter perhaps? That might be one reason why. Another possible reason is I read that years ago, cigarette manufacturers were required to change the type paper they use in their cigarettes to some newer kind of "fire safe" paper (whatever that means).
  13. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

I think it mostly depends on the brand and the frequency of it's user. I've seen my friends rub their fingers with a piece of leaf from a random tree which helps in getting rid of the smell. Washing with some soap and toothpaste usually helps removing the yellow stains.
  14. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've seen stains, but not consistently. It seems like they would be there one day and gone another. The smell on the fingers was far more offensive to me.
  15. Joethefirst

Curiously enough black tobacco doesn't stain your fingers as much as does blonde tobacco. They do have a very strong smell though.
  16. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I used to have those stains, my index fingernail was permanently yellow, I didn't even care back then. I can see now how people let their teeth rot and continue to smoke even after that, you just don't care anymore. Also not everybody get those stains, you need to smoke very frequently and don't care for those stains to start showing up.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Well yeah. I used to have those too. Usually, the stains are in my thumb, index, and middle finger. I guess the fingers that one is using to hold the cigarette will have more stains compared to the others. And they smell too.